Arizona heads to Bay Area to take on No. 2 Stanford and Cal

Stan Liu/Arizona Athletics
    September 23, 2017. Sophomore defensive specialist Makenna Martin (22) during the Wildcats 3-1 loss to the Washington State Cougars. McKale Center, Tucson, AZ.

This weekend, the Arizona Volleyball team will head to the Bay Area for a weekend of conference games starting with a match against the No. 2 Stanford Cardinals at 7 p.m. on Friday followed by California at 11 a.m. on Sunday.

The Wildcats are coming off a loss to Washington State, 3-1, and are sitting at a 7-4 record. In the match against the Cougars, junior outside hitter Kendra Dahlke posted 19 kills, three shy of her career best. Dahlke is currently second on the team with 2.97 kills/set this season. She’ll look to build off of that game, as will sophomore setter Julia Patterson who had 45 assists, raising her average to 10.66.

Stanford comes into the match on Friday night ranked second in the American Volleyball Coaches Association Poll. The Cardinals are 9-2 overall, 2-0 in the Pac-12, and are on a four match winning streak. Sophomore outside hitter Kathryn Plummer leads the Pac-12 in kills (4.82/set) and points (5.55/set).

California is currently 9-4, and are on a three match losing streak. The Golden Bears were swept twice to open conference play, by Stanford and Utah, who were ranked 16 at the time. Senior outside hitter/opposite Antzela Dempi currently leads the team 2.96 kills/set. In their match against Utah, junior setter Mackenzie Albrecht had 19 assists and six digs.

After this weekend away, the Wildcats will be back in the McKale Center next Wednesday, Oct. 4 at 7 p.m., as they continue Pac-12 play against UCLA.

Follow Noah Auclair on Twitter