Tucson designer Estéban Osuna’s collection, ‘Vis,’ represents the force and power he sees in women at TFW

Courtesy Tucson Fashion Week

Courtesy Tucson Fashion Week

Estéban Osuna, a local Tucson designer with a bachelor’s degree in fashion design, showcased his latest collection at Tucson Fashion Week. A veteran of TFW, this will be Osuna’s fourth time presenting his powerful Vis collection.

Osuna said he loves the intimate setting TFW provides his clothes.

“I’ve presented at various fashion shows in Phoenix, but Tucson is my home and I love being a part of the community,” Osuna said. “I think what makes TFW special is that it focuses on historical venues that make Tucson so unique. So not only does it showcase fashion, it showcases local art and architecture.”

For this year’s collection, Osuna said he was inspired by seeing women in powerful roles throughout the world.

“I decided to call my collection ‘Vis,’ which means ‘force’ and ‘power’ in Latin,” Osuna said. “I wanted it to represent everything I see in a woman.” 

Osuna uses a lot of different textures and colors in his designs and draws inspiration from his family — his father owns a boot business and works with a lot of exotic leathers. Osuna pays tribute to this Western style throughout his entire collection.

It was Vis’ colors and textures, though, that really set him apart from other designers at TFW, Osuna said. 

“I would describe my signature look as a mixture of hard and soft textiles and a blend of masculine and feminine qualities,” Osuna said. “I hope I’m not being too presumptuous by saying I can definitely see my designs on the red carpet one day.” 

Follow Sarah Briggs on Twitter.