Police Beat: Aug. 22

Suspect steals while students shower

A University of Arizona Police Department officer responded to a theft in a dorm room at Pueblo de la Cienega Residence Hall on Tuesday around midnight. The two residents of the room had left to take showers down the hall. The women said they closed their door but did not lock it. When they returned, they realized numerous items had been stolen. One of the roommates said that her pouch, which contained her CatCard, driver’s license, debit card, cash and keys, was taken. The women searched the room and could not find the missing items. No evidence was detected at the scene and there are no witnesses at this time.

Fraudulent purchases made to PCard

A UA employee noticed that someone else had attempted to make fraudulent purchases using her UA purchasing card (PCard) on Tuesday. The woman spoke with a UAPD officer over the phone and said that an employee from Bloomingdale’s had contacted her that morning to verify an order made on the store’s website. The total charge made to the PCard was $553.09. The officer called Bloomingdale’s Fraud Analytics and Loss Prevention hotline and requested the purchaser’s information. Chase Bank canceled the PCard and a new one was issued to the employee. There are no suspects at this time.

Shoplifter with fake name

A UAPD officer responded to the UofA Bookstore on Wednesday about a shoplifter in custody. An employee said he witnessed the man take two large markers from a shelf and leave the store without paying. The man told the officer his name and birthday but said he did not have any identification with him. The officer did a records search of the name the man gave and noticed that the date of birth he gave was off by four days. The officer read the man his Miranda rights and he agreed to answer any questions. He also consented to a search of his bag. The officer found a wallet with a debit card with a different name on it. The man said the card belonged to his cousin. He told the officer it was stupid of him to steal the markers when he had money to pay for them. The officer ran a record check on the other name and found a warrant from Pima County. The description matched the man in custody. The man admitted he had given a false name because he knew he had a warrant out for a bad check. The man was arrested on charges of shoplifting and false reporting to law enforcement along with the warrant.