Police Beat

A man was arrested for possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia at Pueblo de la Cienega Residence Hall, 621 N. Highland Ave., March 26.

Two officers responded to the address at 7:20 p.m. regarding a report of a marijuana odor and met with a residence assistant who escorted them to the room in question.

The officer could smell an odor of burnt marijuana covered up by cologne. When the officer knocked on the door, a man answered and let them into his room.

The man had red, watery, bloodshot eyes and his clothing smelled of marijuana.

The man denied using or possessing marijuana at first, later admitting he had marijuana. The man handed the officer a Ziploc bag with 3.1 grams of marijuana, a baggie of orange peels with marijuana residue, a multicolored glass pipe with marijuana

residue and four empty bags with marijuana residue.

No other contraband was found in the room.

The student was cited and released.

Two women were placed into a diversion program for a narcotics offense at Colonia de la Paz Residence Hall, 602 N. Highland Ave., March 26.

Two officers arrived at the residence hall at 11:09 p.m. regarding possible marijuana use in one of the rooms.

Upon arrival they met with a resident assistant who noticed a strong odor of marijuana covered by the odor of perfume while he was performing rounds in the dorm.

The RA escorted the officers to the room.

As the officers entered the hall where the room was located they became overwhelmed by the odor of perfume.

The officers made contact with the residents of the room, who had severely dilated pupils, despite the bright light inside the room, and red glassy eyes. The girls let the officers inside the room where the odor of marijuana was strong.

The two women both admitted they had been smoking marijuana in the room that evening. When asked if they had any marijuana in the room one of the women walked over to her sleeping area and produced a prescription bottle filled with a green, leafy substance, a small purple and blue glass smoking pipe, several small empty baggies and an empty toilet paper roll stuffed with dryer sheets used to mask the odor of marijuana.

The contraband was confiscated and the two women were placed into the diversion program.

A man was arrested for refusing to give his true name while being detained for lawful investigation and was served with a warrant Saturday at 12:50 p.m.

An officer was dispatched to the UA Main Library, 1510 E. University Blvd., at 12:36 p.m. regarding an irate patron wearing tan, long sleeved shirt, who appeared to be in his 30s, and approximately 5-foot-8.

Prior to the officer’s arrival, a police aid had observed a man matching the description walking toward the Student Union Memorial Center and then proceeding to the Psychology building, 1503 E. University Blvd.

The officer made contact with the man at the building and asked him, “”Hey, how’s it going?”” The man stared at the officer and the officer then asked “”Can I talk to you for a moment?”” The man asked, “”Why are you talking to me, officer?”” and the officer told him that they had received a report of someone matching his description getting upset in the library.

The man interrupted the officer and began yelling words the officer could not understand. At that point the man became very agitated, flailed his arms and refusing to sit down at the officer’s request.

The officer retrieved his taser and when the man saw the taser he said, “”Oh no, you are not going to tase me! You arrest me!””

As he said this, he turned away from the officer, put his hands behind his back and walked backwards towards the officer so that he could handcuff him.

The officer handcuffed him and told him that he was being detained while he told him what happened inside the library.

When the officer asked the man his name he said, “”You don’t need to know that, I didn’t do anything wrong.””

The man continued to refuse to identify himself and was placed under arrest under the name John Doe. Upon arrival at the Pima County Jail, the man was identified and a records check showed he had a warrant issued by the City of South Tucson Court for failure to appear.

The man was booked for both charges.

After contacting the reporting party from the library, the officer was told that prior to calling the University of Arizona Police Department, two patrons of the library complained that the man was disturbing them, telling them to “”shut up”” and being loud and boisterous.

When the employee asked the man to move to another workstation, the man began yelling that it was a black thing and said, “”When we rise up, we’re going to hunt you down and I’m coming for you!”” and “”this is a nigger thing, isn’t it? You’re going to pay!””

The employee said he does not want the man back in the library.