Police Beat

A man was cited for criminal damage, being a minor in possession and being a public nuisance at 575 N. Highland Ave. on March 1 at 3 a.m.

At 2:34 a.m., an officer was dispatched to North Highland Avenue in response to a call of suspicious activity.

Upon arrival, he searched the area for a white vehicle that was allegedly involved in throwing water bottles at a UA vehicle, while another officer attempted to locate a second, red vehicle involved.

After about five minutes, the first officer found a witness who said he had seen white and red vehicles parked next to each other from his bedroom window and saw people leaning out of the sunroofs drinking clear liquid from plastic bottles.

The witness said a man wearing a white hoodie jumped out of the sunroof, walked over to a UA truck and threw a rock at the right side window, breaking the glass. After that he got in the red vehicle, a truck.

An officer talked to the driver of the red truck, who said that the man in the white hoodie had been drinking and that it was the first time they had hung out.

He said the man in the hoodie was “”a little different, and friends told me that he could get crazy and drink too much,”” but he agreed to drive the man’s car because he had not been drinking, according to reports.

The driver showed no signs of alcohol consumption.

The man in the white hoodie was identified and found. He had slurred speech and an odor of intoxicants on his breath when he spoke about football, weapons and God.

He swayed from side to side and stumbled as he walked when escorted to the bathroom.

He was eventually released on the scene.

Someone stole items from a wallet in Graham-Greenlee Residence Hall, 610 N. Highland Ave., between 9 and 11 p.m. Feb. 29.

An officer arrived at the dorm at 4:40 a.m. March 1 and spoke with a student who said she and 10 to 12 of her friends were in her room getting ready to go to a party between the hours in question.

She said everyone was in and out of the room for the entire two hours but that it was never left unoccupied.

When she returned to her room at about 3 a.m. she noticed $40 cash and an ATM card missing from her wallet, which she had left on her desk.

Nothing else was missing from the room.

At about 4 a.m. another of the women called her and told her that she was missing some cash and credit cards from her wallet as well.

The reporting student would not give the names of her friends in the room and did not want to report the thefts.

A black 2000 Ford Expedition was broken into at Cherry Avenue Parking Garage, 1641 E. Enke Drive, between the hours of 12:15 and 3:30 p.m.

The man said the vehicle was broken into via the driver’s side door.

The handle of the door has been pried off, which gave access to the rest of the vehicle. There was no other damage.

A JVC receiver head unit with XM radio capabilities, an amplifier of an unknown brand and two subwoofers of an unknown brand enclosed in a plywood speaker box were taken.

The man valued the lost items at $800-$900.

Police have no suspects or witnesses.