Police Beat: Nov. 2

It was love at first arrest

A University of Arizona Police Department officer went to Sixth Street and Cherry Avenue at 12:30 a.m. on Saturday in response to a possible fight. There were two men in the area when the officer arrived. One man was intoxicated. He had red, watery eyes and slurred speech. He repeatedly fell asleep and drooled while the officer talked to him. Tucson Fire Department medics treated the man at the scene. The other man, who was sober, told the officer he had been trying to walk the intoxicated man home, but he became belligerent and refused to go any further. He said they had come from an off-campus party and his friend was acting strangely because he drank too much alcohol.

The officer cited the man for minor in possession of alcohol in body and drove him home. The man hugged and thanked the officer for driving him and said he loved him. He said, “This isn’t drunk talking.” The man was referred to the Dean of Students Office.

When nature calls

A UAPD officer was on patrol at 1:45 a.m. on Thursday when he noticed a man urinating behind Villa del Puente Residence Hall. The officer asked what was going on and the man replied, “Nothing, I’m just going to the bathroom.” The officer pointed his flashlight where the man was standing and saw that the ground was wet. The man had red, watery eyes. His breath smelled strongly of alcohol. The man said he was at a party at Phi Gamma Delta fraternity, but he did not have anything to drink while he was there. The man was cited and released at the scene for minor in possession of alcohol in body and criminal littering.

One red cup of jungle juice

A UAPD officer was on patrol near Second Street and Martin Avenue at 2:30 a.m. on Thursday when he noticed a woman crying on the curb next to a car that was oddly parked. When the officer asked her if she was OK, a man came out of the bushes next to them. The woman said she was OK and the man agreed. Both of them had the smell of alcohol coming from their mouths. They said they had been arguing about getting lost and pulled over to wait for the woman’s sister. The man went to the car to get his identification. When he opened the door, the officer could smell marijuana. Upon searching the car, the officer found a grinder, marijuana and a glass pipe. The man said the items all belonged to him and said he had smoked two or three hours before.

The woman told the officer she had one red cup of “jungle juice” at an off-campus party. She said she did not know there was marijuana in the car. The woman was cited and released for minor in possession of alcohol in body. The man was cited and released for minor in possession of alcohol in body, possession of drug paraphernalia and possession of marijuana.

Vaporized violation

A UAPD officer went to Likins Hall at 1 a.m. on Thursday in response to a smell of marijuana coming from a room. A resident assistant took the officer to the room. The smell of marijuana became stronger when the two residents opened the door for the officer. One of the men admitted he had smoked marijuana inside the room using his vaporizer. The officer informed the man about the UA’s policies regarding marijuana possession and consumption. No criminal violation was detected. The man was referred to the Dean of Students Office.