Legislative Briefs

Arizona colleges can’t deny privileges to religious organizations

The House committee on Universities, Community Colleges and Technology approved on Tuesday SB 1153, which prohibits colleges in Arizona from denying privileges to religious organizations even if the groups practice certain forms of discrimination.

Supporters of the measure say religious organizations should have the option to discriminate membership on the basis of their religious, political or philosophical beliefs. The bill would not protect groups that discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin or sex. It would also not protect groups that disseminate messages or materials that are obscene, defamatory, fraudulent or comprise fighting words.

The bill is scheduled to be heard next by the House Rules Committee.

Selling human eggs for cloning research illegal

The Senate passed yesterday HB 2142, a bill that would ban the sale of human eggs if the eggs were meant to be used for human cloning research.

The bill was amended in the Senate from its original form, which would have banned the sale of human eggs for any reason.

The bill will be sent back to the House, which will vote on the new version.

Bill would require flags in K-12 classrooms

The Senate Higher Education Committee approved on Wednesday a measure that would require K-12 public schools, community colleges and state universities to put an American flag in every classroom.

HB 2583 author, Rep. Russell Pearce, R-Mesa, said his bill was designed to promote national pride in students attending public schools.

The bill will next be heard in the Senate’s K-12 Education committee.

The Senate Higher Education Committee also approved on Wednesday HB 2058, which would allow Eastern Arizona College to start a pilot program offering four-year degrees in four areas: elementary education, nursing, business and interdisciplinary studies. Under the bill, EAC would start offering baccalaureate degrees in the 2007-2008 fiscal year.

The bill is scheduled to be heard next by the Senate Appropriations Committee.

Senate committee approves $10 million work-study program

The Senate Higher Education Committee approved on Wednesday HB 2626, a $10 million work-study program for college students in Arizona. The bill aims to pair students with work-study positions in private companies related to their major.

The bill would match $5 million from the state’s general fund with $5 million in contributions from private companies to offer scholarships for college students in Arizona.

The bill is slated to be heard next by the Senate Appropriations Committee.

– J. Ferguson