Police Beat

Students cited for studying with wine

Two students were referred to the Dean of Student’s Office Feb. 9 at 10:12 p.m.

Police responded to the Physics-Atmospheric Sciences building in reference to suspicious activity. A building monitor told police there were students or employees drinking alcohol in a lounge.

Officers performed a security check of the room and saw a bottle of wine on a table. The officers entered the room and made contact with the four individuals who were there. All four told officers they were studying in the room. The bottle, which was three-quarters full, was between a man and a woman.

The man and the woman told officers they were sharing the bottle. The other two were not drinking alcohol. The woman said they had drunk alcohol in the room before and did not think it was a big deal.

The two people were referred to the Dean of Student’s Office. The woman poured out the wine and threw away the bottle.

Police cite pencil thief

A man was cited and released for shoplifting Feb. 9 at 5:31 p.m.

Police responded to the UofA Bookstore for a shoplifter in custody. When they arrived they made contact with a security officer who told them the man had been walking around the store “”acting suspicious.”” The man then went to the art area and took five pencils and put them in his right front pocket. The man walked around the store for a bit and then returned to the art area where he picked up five more pencils and put them in his cargo pocket. The man then went to the cashier and paid for an eraser and pencil sharpener. Security stopped and detained the man.

The man told officers that he had come to the store to get pencils, a pencil sharpener and eraser. He said that he intended to pay for the items, and that he did not even realize that he had placed the pencils in his pockets. The man said that he still wanted to pay for the items, which were worth about $1 each.

The man was cited and released on scene. He was also referred to the Dean of Student’s Office. He was told he could not return to the bookstore until he had completed a diversion program or he would be trespassing. The man paid for his pencils and left the scene. The total value of the merchandise was $9.55.

Man arrested on drug charges

A man was arrested for a warrant and drug charges Feb. 9 at 5 p.m.

While on patrol near Eighth Street and Santa Rita Avenue, an officer saw a man sitting against a wall next to a bag of aluminum cans. The officer saw the man lift the can to his mouth and apparently drink from it. The officer parked his car and approached the man, noting that he smelled the strong odor of marijuana.

The man saw the officer, put the can next to his bag of cans and attempted to put an orange baggie in his sock. The man could not put the baggie in his sock, so be began reaching for his back. The officer immediately handcuffed him.

The man told the officer, without being questioned, that he had been smoking marijuana and still had a little left in the orange baggie. The beer can the man had been holding also smelled strongly of marijuana. The man told the officer he had used the can “”to smoke the weed.””

A check of the man’s name showed that he had an outstanding warrant from Tucson Police Department for a violation of promise to appear with a bond of $269.

While searching the man, the officer found a steak knife in the man’s pants pocket that he said he used for “”recycling.””

The man was arrested and taken to the Pima County Jail where he was booked for possession of marijuana, possession of drug paraphernalia and his outstanding warrant. The can and baggie were confiscated.

Ex-resident trespasses in dorm

Police were called in reference to a man trespassing Feb. 9, at 3:25 p.m.

Police responded to the Kaibab-Huachuca residence hall where they met with the hall director. The hall director told them that a man who had been evicted from the dorm had come to his office and asked for a Housing Contract Appeal form. The director told the man that he could not be there because he was not allowed in the dorm. The director also told the man that he needed to call and make an appointment next time he needed to be in the dorm.

As the man was leaving, he said to the hall director, “”Why don’t you just call the police faggot!””

The hall director did not know where the man was living now, but wanted to incident documented. He was advised to call police if the man showed up again.

Police Beat is compiled from official University of Arizona Police Department reports. A complete list of UAPD activity can be found at www.uapd.arizona.edu.