Police Beat: Jan. 25

Man in possession of crack pipe

A UAPD officer was patrolling a UA parking lot at 435 N. Fremont Ave. on Jan. 15 at 9:57 a.m. when a Tucson Unified School District employee flagged him down.

The employee said that he had seen a man walking through the parking lot around the same time a bunch of car alarms started to go off. As he was walking through the lot, he was also looking into the windows of some of the cars.

While checking the area of Sixth Street and Fremont Avenue, the officer noticed a man who matched the description the TUSD employee gave.

The officer questioned the man, who was identified by an Arizona identification card. The man revealed that he had a folding knife in his right front pocket.

The man told the officer that, while he was walking through the parking lot, he might have bumped into a few cars causing the alarms to go off, but he did not attempt to break into any of them.

When the officer asked the man if he had any objects on him about which the officer would be concerned, he became very agitated. Eventually he admitted to having a “”crack pipe”” inside of a nylon case in his pocket.

The man was arrested for possession of drug paraphernalia, and the broken glass pipe was placed into property. He was cited and released.

• • •

Don’t cry over spilt vodka

On Jan. 15, a UAPD officer was sent to the Delta Chi fraternity house located at 1701 E. First St. at 4:26 p.m. in response to a UA student who wanted to report an alleged assault during a party the evening before.

The woman told the officer that at 12:15 a.m. she and a friend went to a party at the Delta Chi house, where alcohol was being served.

The two women recognized two other female UA students at the party whom they knew from pictures on Facebook but had never met before.

The four women were in an on-going argument over an ex-boyfriend of one of the women.

After talking to one of the women, the student told the officer she was being called a “”slut”” and “”bitch”” and was told to “”watch her back.””

The woman said that after she was told to watch her back she was then hit above her left eyebrow with a full, 12-ounce aluminum beer can.

After being hit, the woman spilt the vodka drink she was holding, and it splashed onto people around her. Her friend was also open-palmed slapped across the face.

People at the party separated the four women, and eventually the accused woman was asked to leave the party.

The officer spoke with the accused woman at her dorm, and she stated that she was not the one to start the fight and denied ever throwing a can. She added that her clothes had been ruined by the spilt vodka.

Statements were collected from the four women and they were all referred to the Dean of Students Office.

• • •

Fake $100 bill doesn’t buy books   

A UAPD officer was called to the UA Bookstore on East University Boulevard on Jan. 15 at 10:47 a.m. in response to counterfeit reports.

The officer met with a member of the bookstore’s security, who stated that a UA student paid for textbooks using a fake $100 bill.

The student was identified by an Arizona driver’s license and stated that he did not know the bill was fake.

He stated that he got the bill out of the cash register at his father’s business. Highland Tower Motel on 1919 N. Oracle Rd.

His father had told him to take the money he needed to pay for his books, and the man said he never intended to use a fake bill.

After contacting the father of the student, the man said a guest of the motel used the bill the night before.

The bill was copied and placed into property. The officer requested that the case be referred to Tucson Police Department detectives and then followed up by the United States Secret Service.