“CC women, healthy, look to surprise at W. Regionals”

Every cross country season begins with the aspirations of reaching the same, basic goal: getting to the NCAA Nationals.

As the season winds down for the Arizona women’s team at the West Regionals in Springfield, Ore., tomorrow, it has its work cut out for it.

“”We need to

You have to base it on yourself and your own team, not what other teams did. This region and conference are very tough. … Making nationals is a huge accomplishment.

-Marissa Urban,
    junior

finish in the top five or six,”” said UA head coach James Li. “”Or get lucky.””

Several of the top athletes have battled the flu among other maladies this season, but everyone is now 100 percent healthy, Li said.

“”We have a chance to do well,”” Li said. “”Irine (Lagat) and Marissa (Urban) will get more towards the front (of the pack), and if Shelly (Splittberger) can build off her breakthrough performance from the (Pacific 10 Conference Championships) we have (a) chance.””

All season, Li has sung the praises of the difficulty of the West Region and the skill of the other Western schools. The Pac-10 boasts four schools in the top 10 nationally, and half a

dozen other schools from the West are also ranked, which makes it especially difficult to snatch the fruit of success.

“”The biggest disappointment would be if everyone didn’t run to their potential,”” said senior Angelina Cabrera. “”But if we all run great races, then we can look at this as a great year with a lot of improvement.

“”But going to nationals is always a great added bonus.”” Urban agreed.

“”We have a chance,”” she said. “”We have to have a great day, everyone needs to run the perfect race, but it can happen.””

Making nationals doesn’t accurately reflect how the season went, she added.

“”You have to base it on yourself and your own team, not what other teams did,”” she said. This region and conference are very tough. … Making nationals is a huge accomplishment.””

Only sophomore Dylan Fitzpatrick and freshman Victor Zazueta will compete individually for the men, who cannot qualify for nationals.

“”It’s going to be exciting and good competition, and, hopefully, we’ll do well there,”” Li said.