UA fraternity council pres. facing theft charges

The UA’s Interfraternity Council president is facing theft charges for misuse of a credit card issued by the IFC, according to a search warrant return filed Monday in Pima County Superior Court.

Robert Medler, a political science senior, used the card to purchase items including camping equipment, mountaineering gear and a $1,500 laptop, according to court records.

Scott Niedergang, IFC treasurer, found more than $18,000 in unauthorized withdraws and purchases from the IFC’s Wells Fargo bank account statement June 20, according to court records.

The purchases were made starting on March 10 and continued until June 15, court records stated.

Medler admitted to a detective that the personal purchases made to the card started to “”snowball”” after he used the card accidentally the first time. He admitted that he knew the unauthorized use of the account was wrong, which led him to “”cut the card up”” near the end of June, court records stated.

Credit cards are issued to the new president and treasurer annually in December. The IFC does not administer official training on use of the cards when they are given to the holder, but Niedergang stated that it is common sense that they are not for personal use, according to court records.

The IFC had no comment on Tuesday afternoon when a Summer Wildcat reporter contacted the office.

Medler was arrested and booked for theft by misrepresentation on July 7, confirmed Commander Kevin Haywood, UAPD spokesman.

The search recovered several items including: water bottles, hiking boots, climbing shoes, cooking kits, a water filter and maps of several popular outdoor activity areas, stated court records.

Medler confirmed that he purchased all but four of the items found in the search and that he made a cash withdraw of $2,500 on June 15, court records stated.

The investigation is ongoing, Haywood said.

“”We are aware of the situation and are cooperating fully with the police department,”” said Greg Foster, Pi Kappa Phi advisor.

The UAPD were notified of the unauthorized purchased on June 28 by the IFC treasurer and Gary Ballinger, Greek Life coordinator, court reports stated.

Policies concerning the use of IFC private accounts may be changed as a result of the alleged events, Ballinger said.

Medler could not be reached for comment at press time on Tuesday.