Local acupuncture free for a day

If you’re interested in aggressively overcoming your fear of needles, you’re in luck. This weekend, Tucson Community Acupuncture is offering free sessions for students and teachers. Pain-free poking will be available from Monday, Sept. 13 to Sunday, Sept. 19.Acupuncture is an ancient Chinese practice that is said to relieve stress, tension and headaches by strategically placing needles on certain pressure points of the body. Acupuncture began in China, where it was performed in groups as a communal practice. When it was popularized in America, it was glamorized as an expensive and private procedure, leading people to associate it with other bizarre medical practices like Botox or Lasik.

Tucson Community Acupuncture is an old-school needle redux, though; they want to bring back the comfort and community that was typical of the very first Chinese acupuncture sessions. Their pins-and-needling is called the “”distal”” method, meaning they treat pain with points below the knee and elbow and on the head and neck.This way, you don’t have to strip down to get stuck with the needles.

This practice is not recommended if you’re the shy sort. Acupuncture is a pretty chatty ordeal — the acupuncturists will examine you and ask you a number of questions to determine exactly what ails you and how to treat it. They also complete their diagnosis with some close examination, especially of the tongue, and with a little feeling up — they use a method called palpitation by feeling the body for tender, or “”ashi,”” points using various levels of pressure.

Bring a friend and your open mind this Saturday if you are interested in trying this unconventional method of treatment. Acupuncture is recommended as a practice to be repeated, so if you have a good first experience, maybe you’ll even pay for another visit. Appointments are required, so call ahead to reserve a spot.