Law college moves to temp spaces

Due to the renovation of the James E. Rogers College of Law’s main building, which began in June, law classroom and administrative operations have moved into new digs that use to house a Italian restaurant and a church.

The renovation encompasses a new library with more books, new technology, compact shelving and group study space, said Nancy Stanley, associate director of external relations. It will also include lights in the basement, more windows, meeting rooms, classrooms and offices.

The interim

Having the facility split up like this is challenging and certainly different.

-Stephanie Macdonald
    third-year law student

law library occupies a former Episcopal church, 1201 E. Mabel St. The faculty offices are at the former Corleone Apartments complex west of the Rogers building’s student center, which now occupies the former Italian restaurant Corleone’s, 1035 E. Mabel St.

“”Having the facility split up like this is challenging and certainly different,”” said Stephanie Macdonald, a third-year law student.

“”It’s hard because we have four different spots to meet people, two different places to have classes, and our professors are farther away,”” she said.

The main law building was vacated in May just after graduation. Staying in the building and having construction take place around the students would have delayed the process and cost more than $1 million, Stanley said.

“”With a lot of help from the university’s Facilities Management, we were able to identify places we could move that were close enough to still be considered on campus,”” Stanley said.

“”I think they’re really trying to make it as easy as possible for us, so I’m grateful for that,”” Macdonald said.

Most find the student center, with its magenta carpeting, big couches and free coffee and refreshments welcoming.

“”I think it’s very cozy, comfortable, inviting and convenient, since it’s right across the street from class,”” said Daniela Bernal, a first-year law student.

El Saguarito Mexican Food, a small restaurant, also moved into the building along with the center.

“”The majority of our business is the students from the law college,”” said Chris Lopez, manager of El Saguarito, which is open from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m.

The $21 million, 71,000-square-foot renovation were made possible by the Arizona Board of Regents and private donors.

The renovation should take 18 months to complete, as the main law building will re-open to students for the fall 2008 semester, Stanley said. Anyone can watch the renovation in real time via a webcam accessible through the College of Law homepage, www.fdc.arizona.edu/webcam/amecam.cfm.