Women’s tennis team heads to ITA Regionals

The annual ITA Regional Tournament is home to some of the best competition in all of collegiate tennis, and Thursday’s action in San Diego, Calif., will be no exception.

“”There are a lot of good players in this tournament,”” said UA assistant coach Ryan Stotland. “”The competition is always high, especially with UCLA being the defending national champions. This is a good opportunity for us to grow.””

Arizona senior Danielle Steinberg, junior Ariane Masschelein, sophomore Jane Huh and freshmen Deborah Castany and Sarah Landsman are the five Wildcats making the trip, and all of them will compete in the singles bracket.

In addition to the singles, Arizona has two teams competing in the doubles bracket: Masschelein is paired with Landsman, and Huh with Steinberg.

The fall season thus far has been a success both on and off the court, and the ITA Regional is another opportunity to prepare for the regular season, which begins in January, Stotland said.

“”All of the girls are been playing well,”” Stotland said. “”They have great chemistry, which has led to a great atmosphere and a lot of fun. They are improving everyday which is what we want to see.””

The success on the court so far – especially with the five competing this weekend – has been impressive, as all five girls have winning records in singles action.

Despite the court success, however, the overall progress of the preseason is measured by how the team improves individually, not just as a team.

“”We are really looking for growth,”” Stotland said. “”We want (the girls) to work on things and try to develop their game. We want to succeed in team competition, and see them improve so that they can become the best team they can be.””