Police Beat: March 29

Dazed and confused

A UA student was arrested, taken to Pima County Jail, denied entry due to his intoxication and then taken to University of Arizona Medical Center at 12:44 a.m. on March 23.

A University of Arizona Police Department officer observed the man “stumbling out” of an alleyway north of First Street and Warren Avenue at 5:45 a.m. The officer activated his lights and sirens, but the man didn’t stop until the officer pulled up in front of him.

The student could barely stand as he told the officer he was coming from Delta Chi fraternity. When asked where he lived, the man kept replying with an Illinois address that matched the zip code on his license.

When asked for his social security number, the man responded with his zip code again, then babbled about living in the District on 5th and in Afghanistan.

The man tested a .240 BAC when given a breath test, and fell over while he was being handcuffed and arrested on charges of minor in possession.

Another officer then took the student to Pima County Adult Detention Center. While sitting inside the building, the student began to vomit, and fell forward and hit his head.

He was rejected by the jail because of his condition, so the officer took him to the UAPD station to receive a medical evaluation from Tucson Fire Department. TPD determined the student needed further care at UAMC.

Later, police met with the student at UAMC to ask about the earlier incident, but he said he “didn’t remember any of it.” He was then cited and released for minor in possession and referred to the dean of students.

Drunk student passes out in public

A UA student was transported to UAMC after being found unconscious from extreme intoxication on the south side of the Psychology building at 2:25 a.m. on March 23.

A UAPD officer reported to the building about the extremely intoxicated man after a woman spotted him. When the officer arrived, Emergency Medical Services was checking the vitals of the man, who had vomited a “red-colored substance” while being evaluated and then slumped over and sat in it.

The student was unable to stand, walk, answer any questions or provide his name due to being “extremely incoherent and confused.”

EMS decided the man, who was identified with an Arizona identification card, needed to be evaluated at the hospital. Southwest Ambulance then transported the man to UAMC, where police spoke with him later, at 6 a.m.

The student was more coherent this time and told police he had drunk at a friend’s apartment, but hadn’t realized how drunk he was. He was cited and released for minor in possession, then went back to sleep.