Softball’s 3 seniors share strong bond

Throughout their Tucson careers, three Arizona softball seniors have been inseparable.

On and off the field, Kristie Fox, Caitlin Lowe and Chelsie Mesa not only share the camaraderie of being on the softball team, but also the strong bond of being best friends.

Stars on the diamond, the three can also often be found playing another sport.

“”We like to bowl,”” said Mesa, who started at second base in all of Arizona’s 65 games last season.

“”It’s cheap and a lot of fun,”” added Fox, who was named to last year’s Pacific 10 Conference’s First Team. “”We are very competitive people, and we like to do things where we can compete against each other.””Hesitantly, Lowe agreed.

“”I don’t like to bowl a lot,”” said Lowe, who last year was a top-10 finalist for the USA Softball Player of the Year award. “”But it is a lot of fun to play because we all share the same passion for competing.””

Although their competitive nature in the bowling alley never strays far from fun and games, it may translate into something on the softball field. The three women agreed their constant competitiveness is a strong motivator for their individual performances on the softball field.

“”At practice we are so competitive that we push each other as far as we can go,”” Fox said. “”I think it motivates us because we are so close, and we want to win.””

But all competitiveness aside, they all said it is important to be close as teammates and they enjoy being there for one another.

“”I think we know each other so well, and that definitely helps us when we are preparing for a game because we each know what we have to get done,”” Lowe said.

The seniors could be the most important pieces of this year’s softball puzzle.

After losing standout ace pitcher – and Arizona’s all-time strikeout leader – Alicia Hollowell, the three women know how important their role on the team is this season.

With both Lowe and Fox named first-team National Fastpitch Coaches Association All-Americans last season, and coupled with Mesa’s starting experience and knowledge, the trio will be a great boost to some of the younger players on this year’s squad.

“”This year we know we are going to have to step it up,”” Mesa said. “”We have a young team this year, and we have to be there for them and be a role model for the younger players.””

With the season quickly approaching – the first game is Feb. 9 against Ohio State – and with memories of last year’s championship fading in the rear-view mirror, the women are looking ahead.

“”We want to go back and win again, and I think we are going to be able to do that as long as we peak at the right time,”” Lowe said.

And as for their friendship?

“”We are like family,”” Mesa said. “”We definitely stick together.””