Police Beat

Resident kicks glass door while wrestling

A man was cited on two charges at the Hopi Lodge dorm on Oct. 24 at 11:10 p.m.

Univesity of Arizona Police Department was called earlier in reference to a man kicking a glass door in the dorm with his feet from the outside. Witnesses saw the man and his roommate wrestling outside when this happened. The man could not be found and police told the resident assistant to call them if he entered the building.

At 11:10 p.m., UAPD was dispatched to the dorm in reference to a man in need of medical assistance. Upon arriving, police made contact with a man sitting on a bed, holding his forehead and left knee. The man told officers he had seven shots of JÇÏgermeister that evening. Police notified him that medical assistance was on its way. Police identified the man through a driver’s license, as the man who had kicked and shattered the glass door earlier.

The man told officers he had little recollection of the night’s events. He said he did not remember kicking in the left front door of the dorm. He did remember wrestling with his roommate both inside and outside the main doors though. He also said he and his roommate often wrestle.

Police cited and released the man for criminal damage and being a minor in possession of alcohol. His roommate could not be found for questioning.

Man runs through Homecoming bonfire

A man was taken to the Pima County Jail after providing law enforcement with false information.

UAPD at the Homecoming Pep Rally reported that as the bonfire was still burning, a large Hispanic man wearing an LA Dodgers jersey ran through it. Upon exiting the fire, he fell on the ground, nearly missing people who were there for the pep rally.

Police made contact with the man. They asked him for his identification, and he said he did not have it on him. He did give them a name. After a records search, it was reported that this name did not return any results. The man then told officers he did have an ID and provided them with a California driver’s license.

Police noted that the man was given the opportunity to leave, but instead punched the driver door of a Tucson Fire Department vehicle that was there for the bonfire.

The man was given a citation for providing false information to law enforcement. He was handcuffed, searched and taken to Pima County Jail.

Student treated after alleged assault

UAPD was called by a doctor who said he had just treated a patient who had been assaulted Oct. 23 at 4:29 p.m.

The doctor called officers after a student came into his office with a broken little finger on his right hand, a right eye contusion and a post-concussion. The doctor told officers that he asked the man how he got the injuries. The student told him he “”got jumped last night north of Speedway by a bunch of unknown guys.””

The doctor tried to get more information from the man, but he became very vague and stated that he did not remember anything else.

The doctor then informed the man that he was obligated to contact police on any assaults and asked the man to speak with officers. The man refused.

When officers arrived, they spoke with the doctor who said the man had just left but could be found at Campus Health. The man refused to speak to officers and said he was tired and would call them when he was ready to talk.

Man cited for warrants, drunken biking

A man was arrested on charges of being a minor in possession of alcohol and a warrant for failure to appear Oct. 24 at 1:54 a.m.

Police responded to a call for a welfare check on North First Street and East Cherry Avenue because there was a man lying on the ground with a bicycle on top of him.

Police made contact with the man, who informed them immediately that he had an existing warrant from Tucson Police Department for his arrest. The man identified himself to police and the warrant was confirmed. While speaking with the man, police noticed a smell of intoxicants coming from him. He also had bloodshot eyes.

The man told officers he was picked up by some friends at 9:25 p.m. and driven to the Delta Chi fraternity house. At the fraternity house, he consumed six beers. After consuming the beer, he came into possession of a friend’s bike and was riding until he fell off of it at approximately 1:50 a.m.

UAPD placed the man under arrest for his warrant and on charges of being a minor in possession of alcohol. He was taken to the Pima County Jail where he was booked. The bicycle was taken to the police station for safekeeping because they were unable to identify the owner.