“Angela and Erin of ‘The Office’ talk love, labor”

When television shows find new material hard to come by, they turn to huge, life-altering events in the characters’ lives in order to boost ratings and renew viewer interest. Ross and Rachel had their moment in “”Friends,”” Carrie had her “”Sex and the City”” movie and “”The Office”” is having a baby.

On Thursday, the now-quintessential TV couple Jim (John Krasinski) and Pam (Jenna Fischer) will finally deliver what fans have been waiting seasons for: the Halpert baby.

“”They’re a couple that you want to root for. And that makes it very special,”” said Angela Kinsey, who plays the self-involved and rigid Angela Martin on the show. Fans have watched Jim and Pam evolve from coworkers to friends, friendly to flirtatious, dating to engaged, married to expecting. All of that buildup will culminate in the infamous and long-awaited baby episode airing this week.

“”We’re a family, you know, and it’s like six years of our lives and all the up and downs and we’ve all been there for each other. And it’s a very unique path to journey with someone to go from waiting tables or answering phones at 1-800-Dentist to then go through this ride of a hit TV show,”” Kinsey said.

Anyone who has watched the show from its conception will know that the characters have developed tremendously. From layoffs to buyouts to sexual harassment workshops, they’ve been through it all. Erin, played by Ellie Kemper, is the newest of the bunch, and she is just thrilled to be a part of it.

In the webisode series called “”The Mentor,”” which also will be available online Thursday, Angela takes Erin under her wing to mentor her in the fine art of accounting.

“”Listen, my character has like three shades that you see of her; it’s like pissed, slightly more pissed and really pissed,”” Kinsey said.

It would be difficult to find more diametrically opposed personalities to put together in a one-on-one scene. But they get along and, as the cliché goes, hilarity ensues. Kemper said that she has a lot of difficulty keeping a straight face while shooting scenes with Steve Carell during the show.

“”I haven’t done this yet, Angela, and again too much information, I wet my pants a lot when I laugh too hard,”” Kemper said.

Keep an eye out for this week’s newest additions to “”The Office”” family. If Kinsey and Kemper have given us any indication, they might make you laugh too hard — just don’t expect Dunder Mifflin to help clean up.