Pac-10 power rankings

One week of college football in the books and some questions surrounding the Pacific 10 Conference started to form answers. It’s still way too early to make any concrete assumptions, but here’s the way we see the Pac-10 heading into week two.

1. Oregon Ducks

Record: 1-0;

Last week: No. 1

It’s pretty hard to find any flaws in a 72-0 victory. Kenjon Barner was a machine, scoring five touchdowns in the first half alone. Starter LaMichael James returns to the lineup this week after a one game suspension and he and Barner should make one scary tandem.

2. Arizona Wildcats

Record: 1-0;

Last week: No. 4

It’s probably a good thing when your head coach says there are still several things to improve after a 41-2 win. Quarterback Nick Foles and wide receiver Juron Criner could be on the cusp of one of the best passing tandems in the country, but keep an eye on the defense – if it can play like that all season long the Wildcats could do some serious poll climbing.

3. Stanford Cardinal

Record: 1-0;

Last week: No. 6

Andrew Luck might be worth the hype after all. He seemed to be in complete control throughout the game. Keep in mind, however, it was against a far inferior opponent. Let’s see how he – and all of Stanford for the matter – do against better teams.

4. Oregon State  Beavers

Record: 0-1;

Last week: No. 3

We’ll soon find out if the loss to TCU was a sign that Oregon State wasn’t ready or that the Horned Frogs are very ready, but for now Oregon State has to deal with its loss. The running game has to improve in the coming weeks, and although he made some rookie mistakes, first year starter Ryan Katz shows some promise – and a big arm. That kid can throw it.

5. USC Trojans

Record: 1-0;

Last week: No. 2

Matt Barkley had a fine debut thanks to five touchdowns – football fans should be excited about the marriage between him and head coach Lane Kiffin – but was that a real USC team on defense? It’s almost as if Kiffin ordered his defense to roll over and show that the Pete Carroll era is officially over.

6. Washington Huskies

Record: 0-1;

Last week: No. 5

The Huskies only drop one slot because the teams behind them that won played relatively easy teams. This was a very concerning game for Washington, though. If Jake Locker were a true star, he would have found a way to win that game. He and the Huskies need to get motivated quickly.

7. California Golden Bears

Record: 1-0;

Last Week: No. 8

Forget USC’s Dillon Baxter, wide receiver Keenan Allen is going to be an animal for California. The Bears haven’t had a dominant wide receiver since DeSean Jackson, but Allen is shaping up to be that guy and then some. He should compliment running back Shane Vereen nicely.

8. ASU Sun Devils

Record: 1-0;

Last Week: No. 9

ASU scored 54 points? Is this real life? Sure, it was against Portland State, but Sun Devils fans should be rejoicing. ASU will likely put up a big number again this week against Northern Arizona. The real test comes the next week when the Sun Devils travel to Wisconsin Bruins.

9. UCLA Bruins

Record: 1-0;

Last Week: No. 7

I thought the Bruins were going to be a huge surprise this season and, so far, I’m way off. That offense just can’t get it going no matter how hard it tries. Maybe it takes a few weeks to get a pistol to fully fire.

10. Washington State Cougars

Record: 1-0;

Last Week: No. 10

The best chance for the Cougars to win a game this season will be in a non-conference matchup ­­— and even that window is closing.