Board to study new roads

The State Transportation Board is moving ahead with a study to find out if a new road could reduce city traffic by diverting trucks and other interstate traffic around Tucson and Phoenix.

The vote gave the Arizona Department of Transportation the ability to do a preliminary study on the bypass proposal.

One route for a possible bypass would connect to Interstate 10 east of Tucson.

It would carry traffic through the less-populated area between Tucson and Phoenix, then connect back to Interstate10 somewhere west of Phoenix.

DNA testing leads to charges of cattle rustling in southern Ariz.

Cattle rustling used to be a hanging offense in Arizona.

That’s no longer the case. But thanks to DNA technology, a southern Arizona rancher could be facing fines and prison time if convicted of rustling-related charges lodged against him.

Rancher Larry Hubbard was ordered last week to stand trial in June for cattle rustling.

The criminal charges accuse Hubbard of branding two yearling bulls and trying to sell livestock belonging to another rancher.

DNA samples tested by the Veterinary Genetics Laboratory at the University of Californa-Davis established that the calves and yearlings were born to cows from a neighboring rancher.

Hubbard’s attorney disputes that his client did anything wrong.

The lawyer says that even if you establish a DNA link between the animals, it doesn’t prove the Hubbard was rustling cattle.