Police Beat: Nov. 22

Odd dents discovered on damaged truck

A University of Arizona Police Department officer went to a campus parking lot on Cherry Avenue to examine reports of damage done to a Ford F-150 truck at 8:10 a.m. on Nov. 17. He met with the owner, a UA student, who said that he had parked his car there the previous day at about 5 p.m.

He picked it up that night at 11 p.m., drove it home and didn’t notice any damage to it at the time. The next morning, he parked his car in the same area at 7 a.m. and when he came back at 8 a.m., he noticed there was a dent below his rear window on the passenger’s side. The dent was approximately 12 inches wide and was pushed in deep enough that a piece of metal from underneath was pushed into the side panel. The molding of the passenger’s side window had a four-inch chunk missing from the bottom. There were also two pry marks in the paint next to the window.

No entry was made into the truck, nor was anything taken.

Online gamer uses UA credit card

A UAPD officer went to the UA Main Library after someone reported a fraud on Wednesday at approximately 11:28 a.m.

The Library Operations supervisor told the officer that sometime on Nov. 2 someone made an unauthorized purchase using her UA purchase card. Her Visa showed a charge for $4.96 from amazing-gaming.com. The officer attempted to reach this website, but found that it no longer existed.

The supervisor said that she is the only person who uses that card and she keeps it locked in her desk drawer in the library.

There are no suspects or witnesses at this time.

Another UA fraudulent charge

A UAPD officer was called back to the Main Library on Wednesday due to another report of fraud. The Library Information associate said that on Oct. 29, an unauthorized purchase using her UA purchase card was made. It was charged $96 by Arvixe, a web-hosting and server support company.  

On Nov. 11, Arvixe contacted the Library Information associate and said that an unknown user had used their company to get money. They refunded the entire amount back to her credit card. The supervisor said she is the only user of that card and that she keeps it locked in her desk drawer. Her card was cancelled the day before Arvixe had notified her of what happened. There are no suspects or witnesses.

It’s all going down at the library

A woman’s ring was found in the restroom on the first floor of the Main Library on Wednesday at approximately 2:20 p.m. The woman who found the ring placed it in an envelope and turned it into to UAPD at 2:40 p.m.

An officer contacted the woman who had turned it in. She told the officer that she had been using the restroom on the first floor of the library when she reached up to grab a paper towel and found the ring lying on top of the towel dispenser. She said there was no one else in the restroom, so she had no idea who it might belong to.

The officer thanked her for turning it in so promptly. The ring is at UAPD for safekeeping.