Police Beat: Sept. 7

*Anti-Asian assailant *

A University of Arizona Police Department officer responded to a report of possible assault on Aug. 31 at 9 a.m. The officer met with three people who said that a man had spit on them and threatened them.

Officers searched the area and found the suspect walking south on Euclid Avenue. The man ran from officers and was cut off by another officer on a motorcycle. When he refused to get on the ground, officers grabbed his arms and forced him to the ground as the man rolled and resisted. The man was placed in handcuffs and identified by his California driver’s license. He had an outstanding warrant from Tucson Police Department for failure to appear on trespassing charges. The witnesses positively identified the man as the one who had spit and threatened them. The man said he had a misunderstanding with an Asian couple earlier. He explained that he’d had bad experiences with Asian people when he lived in California and assumed them to all be the same. He admitted to calling the woman a “slut” and spitting on her. The man said he could not remember everything that had been said or what had happened.

The man was arrested on charges of assault, two counts of threats and intimidation and failure to appear regarding his warrant from TPD. He was booked into Pima County Jail and his personal belongings were placed into property at UAPD.

*Man stretches possibilities for pornography *

A UAPD officer was patrolling the Manuel T. Pacheco Integrated Learning Center on Aug. 26 at 2 p.m. when he noticed a man watching a video that looked like pornography on one of the computers. As the officer walked closer, he saw the man was watching a video of a woman wearing a shirt and “skintight gray yoga pants.” The camera angle was focused on the woman’s crotch. A librarian approached the officer and said she had seen the man watching pornography earlier. The man identified himself and the officer found the man had an outstanding warrant from TPD for trespassing.

The officer arrested the man for his warrant and advised him that future incidents in the library could result in an arrest for loitering or trespassing. The man was booked into Pima County Adult Detention Complex.

‘Go find a real crime’

A UAPD officer observed a man crossing the intersection of Second Street and Mountain Avenue on Thursday while the pedestrian wait signal was red. The officer stopped the man to ask why he crossed against the signal, and the man replied, “The light was green. Go find a real crime.” The officer got off his motorcycle to talk to the man and was taking off his sunglasses when the man bumped the officer’s elbow and the glasses fell to the ground. The man looked down at the sunglasses and stepped on them with his foot, breaking them in several places. The officer grabbed the man’s arm and told him to turn around. The man pushed the officer and fell into the bushes when the officer pushed him back. The officer attempted to put the man in handcuffs while the man resisted and yelled, “Go find a real crime like rapists, like the ones in the library!” The man was handcuffed and refused medical assistance for scratches on his legs and temple from the bushes.

The man was arrested on charges of crossing against the pedestrian wait signal, criminal damage and resisting arrest and was booked into Pima County Jail.

Sassy skateboarder slips up

A UAPD officer was on patrol at the Highland Avenue Parking Garage at 11:40 p.m. on Saturday when a man skated past him on a long board. The man yelled at the officer and made obscene hand gestures. The officer caught up with the man at one of the elevators. The man picked up his long board and began running with it on Helen Street. He then tripped and fell into the street. He picked himself up and finally stopped near the UA Poetry Center. Another officer arrived and impounded the man’s long board and gave him a Parking and Transportation Services citation. The man refused medical attention and left the scene.