Editorial

Editor’s note: Arizona Daily Wildcat endorsements for the primary were determined after reviewing each of the candidates’ platforms, past records and campaign comments. The Wildcat isn’t endorsing senatorial candidates in the primary, as all 17 candidates will move on to the general election.

President

The three candidates vying for the office of ASUA president bring varying degrees of experience, promise and feasibility to their campaigns. Erin Hertzog and Montana Erickson present the strongest platforms.

Hertzog’s plan to bring stadium and other large-scale concerts to campus is bound to resound with students. It’s certainly ambitious; how realistic it is remains to be seen. Her platform on class-availability issues is much more impressive. She proposes several concrete ideas that, if implemented, could actually play a role in addressing this serious student issue. Though she is light on details in what she would do to improve TA/GA remission, the problem is an important one not addressed by any other candidate for an executive office. Her idea of creating an ASUA-endowed chair presents an interesting and concrete step in promoting students’ issues. Most important, however, is Hertzog’s experience. She has continued to admirably uphold her duties as the current executive vice president while filling the large role of student body president left vacant in Cade Bernsen’s absence, proving herself to be both hardworking and dedicated.

Montana Erickson also brings interesting platforms to the table. Although less experienced than Hertzog, his commitment to providing childcare on campus makes him a candidate to watch. His proposal to expand already successful programs like SafeRide is by no means daring, but certainly makes sense. Both of these two candidates have positive ideas that would lead ASUA in the right direction.

Executive vice president

Of the four candidates seeking the office of Executive Vice President, David Reece and Rhonda Tubbs are the two who most deserve to advance to the general election.

Tubbs’ record since she was elected to the senate last year speaks for itself. In addition to working on a variety of initiatives, she secured $10,000 in grants for her laptop-loan program. Her proposal to set up a club funding endowment through the UA Foundation demonstrates Tubbs’ ability to get creative with club funding. While Tubbs has been suspended from campaigning, the Wildcat believes that the elections code violations were the result of technicalities beyond Tubbs’ control.

Reece, who is the current chief of staff for Hertzog, appears to be a no-nonsense leader with great perspective. He wants to improve the equity of club funding, a laudable, if not controversial, goal. Reece values practical spending and a modification to club funding allocations, ensuring that all clubs are treated equally when they ask for money. While it’s unclear whether Reece will be able toÿeliminate waste and improve efficiency, he deserves strong consideration in the general election because of his noble aims.

Administrative vice president

The three candidates for administrative vice president have each demonstrated they have adequate experience in ASUA, yet Ty Reece, Jami Reinsch and Pita Salido all seem to suffer from weak campaign proposals.

While it’s a toss-up as to which of the three candidates will lead ASUA’s vital student services, Reece and Salido distinguish themselves as having a realistic grasp of the position as well as a knowledge of funding issues facing programs.

Both candidates’ platforms exhibit the dubious call to “”raise awareness”” of programs and services. Proposals like these are a waste of money and energy that could be spent making programs like SafeRide and CatsRIDDE better.

But Salido’s ideas on finding grants to help pay for increased student services shows ingenuity and creativity in finding funding for important services.

Likewise, Reece’s pragmatic approach to restructuring programs and services so that the most money goes to the most popular programs exhibits the priorities one would hope to find in a good leader.

Opinions are determined by the Wildcat opinions board and written by
    one of its members. They are Nina Conrad, Lori Foley, Caitlin Hall,
    Michael Huston, Ryan Johnson, Aaron Mackey and Tim Runestad.