Police Beat

Police responded to Coronado Residence Hall, 822 E. Fifth St., on the suspicion that a resident was smoking marijuana in his room Aug. 31.

The officers were unsuccessful at making contact with the residents of the room after several minutes of knocking. A television was heard inside the room and the strong odor of marijuana was coming from inside it.

As police were about to conclude the investigation and leave, a resident from the room approached and asked why the officers were knocking on the door. The officers told the resident they were investigating the odor of marijuana coming from his room. The resident told the officers that he did not smoke marijuana and unlocked the door for them.

Inside the room, the roommate was attempting to hide behind a bed. The officers asked why he did not open the door. The resident told the officers, “”I was taking a shit.””

According to reports, the officers asked for identification and the resident consented. The officers asked if they could enter the room to talk. The resident said no and denied smoking marijuana and refused to consent to searching the room.

The resident called his father and after a discussion between them, he allowed the officers into the room. The resident handed over a black box containing marijuana and other drug paraphernalia. The officers advised the resident that he would be diverted to the dean of students.

Police met with a female student who was the victim of a hit-and-run at the Park Avenue Parking Garage, 1140 N. Park Ave. on Aug. 30.

The accident happened at the entrance to the parking garage when a blue 4-Runner driven by a female with blonde hair backed out of the entrance after she could not enter it. The victim said she honked her horn but the other driver continued to back up, hitting the hood of the victim’s vehicle. The victim said the 4-Runner left the scene traveling south on North Park Avenue toward East Fourth Street.

The victim informed the officer that the 4-Runner had “”I love Chi Omega”” written in white paint on the rear window. Police checked the area but could not locate the 4-Runner. The officer stopped at the Chi Omega sorority house, 1420 E. First St., and told the house mother about the incident. The house mother said she would announce it to the sorority members.

Later that day, a female from Chi Omega called UAPD to report that she may have backed into a car at the Park Avenue Parking Garage. She told police that she never knew she backed into anyone. She added that she had a lot of boxes in her vehicle and that they fell over so she did not think there was a problem.

A man was arrested at East First Street and North Park Avenue for driving with a suspended license, knowingly displaying fictitious plates and not having current registration on Aug. 30.

Police observed a car traveling northbound at the intersection of North Euclid Avenue and East University Boulevard. The officer ran the plate numbers and the records check returned the plates for a Kia. The vehicle that he was driving currently and the plate did not match.

The officer pulled the driver over at East First Street and North Park Avenue and asked the driver about the status of the vehicle and the plates. The man told the officer that he took the plates off of his Kia, which broke down, and put it on his mother’s car, a green Pontiac bus, to get to work.

The records check also revealed that the suspension was mailed to him on July 17. The man was cited and released and the plate was taken as evidence.

A man was booked into Pima County Jail for criminal trespassing charges and possession of drug paraphernalia at 2:33 a.m. on Aug. 31.

Police observed the man at the intersection of East Sixth Street and North Cherry Avenue walking his bike near the east stadium. The officer recognized the man from previous contacts and was aware that he had been warned and arrested numerous times for trespassing on university property. The officer conducted a records check and revealed that the man had an outstanding misdemeanor warrant from UAPD for Failure to Appear on a Third Degree Criminal Trespass charge.

He was placed under arrest and police searched the man and found a glass smoking pipe used for smoking methamphetamine inside a blue pouch in his backpack. The man was transported to Pima County Jail.

Police reported to Sky View Apartments, 1050 E. Eighth St., on reference of a vehicle that was broken into Aug. 31.

The victim told the officer that the last time he saw his driver side window intact was on Aug. 29 at about 7:00 p.m. The victim looked through the black Nissan Maxima and the only thing stolen was an old, broken iPod.

The officer noticed pry marks to the upper window frame on the driver side door. The marks appeared to be consistent to damage caused by a device similar to a screwdriver. Latent prints were unable to be taken. Police have no suspects or witnesses.

Police Beat is compiled from official University of Arizona Police Department reports. A complete list of UAPD activity can be found at http://www.uapd.arizona.edu.