Hold us to it: Our responsibility to meet your expectations

At the onset of every year there are expectations. Good grades, new friends, and fun times. Much of the same is to be said for not only this newspaper that you’re holding but specifically for this section.

As an editor I expect the utmost diligence, hard work and intellectual thought from this staff and, more importantly, myself. That means that you, the reader, can expect clear-cut, no holds barred, and honest takes on the many events affecting this campus and the community at large.

We certainly can’t cover everything, and we won’t make everyone happy, nor do we wish to. The perspectives page isn’t about sidestepping a glaring problem or sugar coating a critique just to please the masses. Rather, this page is about bringing to light the views and underlying issues of the days’ events in an effort to create a greater understanding. With that being said, expect the perspectives page to be unabashed, upfront, and straightforward.

In this section you’ll probably find something that makes you gently nod in agreement. More likely, you’ll find something that ignites the very fire of fury deep inside you. It’s important that you voice both. We’re not about inciting frustration, but it comes with the territory. The opinions page welcomes both praise and criticism.

A greater understanding of the surrounding world can only be reached through discourse and encouraging critical thought. We intend to do just that by covering topics that range far across the board. Whether it’s calling out Greek Life gaffes, detailing a slip-up or success of the Associated Students of the University of Arizona, or supplying some context to a state or federal government affair, we’ll be there.

Look for weekly columns from our writers when you want an alternate perception, and our feature pieces like Cat Tracks or Storm Tracker when you’re looking for a brief rundown of the trends.

Above all, remember that what you’re reading here is the opinion of one of your peers and while you can always agree or disagree, you must respect their right to have one. That’s the name of the game. Remember that if you’ve never upset someone, you’ve probably never stood up for something you believe in.

Again, a new year comes with new expectations. Our expectation is that we deliver quality content that keeps you coming back, and makes you feel passionately one way or the other. Your expectation should be that we tell it like it is.

­­

— Storm Byrd is the Perspectives editor for the Daily Wildcat. He can be reached at letters@wildcat.arizona.edu.