Fast Facts

• Guinness World Records holds the record for being the book most often stolen from public libraries.
  • The word curfew originates from an old French word that means “”cover fire.””
  • The Eskimo language has more than 20 words to describe different kinds of snow.
  • In 1825, the first toilet was installed in the White House.
  • An octopus will eat its own arms if it gets really hungry.
  • Built in 1697, the Frankford Avenue Bridge, which crosses Pennypack Creek in Philadelphia, is the oldest U.S. bridge in continuous use.
  • A wind with a speed of 74 mph or more is designated a hurricane.
  • Jellyfish are comprised of more than 95 percent water and have no brain, heart or bones and no actual eyes.
  • Tommy Lee Jones and former Vice President Al Gore were freshman roommates at Harvard University.
  • The Academy Award statue is named after a librarian’s uncle. One day Margaret Herrick, librarian for the Academy of
  • Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, made the remark that the statue looked like her uncle Oscar, and the name stuck.
  • Ralph Lauren’s real name is Ralph Lifshitz.
  • It takes 24 hours for a tiny newborn swan to peck its way out of its shell.
  • In the Rhode Island Legislature during the 1970s, it was proposed that there be a tax of $2 on every act of sexual intercourse.
  • The term “”honeymoon”” is derived from the Babylonians, who declared mead, a honey-flavored wine, the official wedding drink, stipulating that the bride’s parents be required to keep the groom supplied with the drink for the month following the wedding.