Club funding to get $20K from concert

ASUA club funding hopes to get $20,000 from the Death Cab for Cutie concert along with additional money acquired through outside sources in order to resume allocating money to clubs on a waiting list.

The Associated Students of the University of Arizona hasn’t given any money to clubs since running out of funds before spring break.

About $35,000 from the budget was set aside to ensure ASUA could pay for additional costs of the concert, and the ASUA Appropriations Board is hoping only $15,000 was needed, said acting President Erin Hertzog.

“”It’s a reserve set aside in case there are any unexpected expenses, generally for things like security or maintenance,”” said board director Steven Gerner. “”We have to have that money as a cushion to make sure we can pay for the concert.””

Hertzog said it’s hard to predict exactly how much money was spent because a lot of different factors go into the show.

“”It costs a lot for security, which varies band to band and venue to venue,”” she said. “”Plus they increase the prices all the time.””

The money left over from the concert is taking longer to calculate and transfer than was initially anticipated, Gerner said.

“”The biggest problem is waiting for the bills and everything to go through,”” Hertzog said. “”There are a lot of things that get charged after the concert.””

Hertzog said they’re also looking at possible royalties coming out of the concert from things like apparel.

Additional club funding is being sought from outside sources, and officials within ASUA have been applying for grants, which will also take some time to process, Gerner said.

“”The problem with grants is there are a lot of formalities and procedures we have to go through, and it just takes awhile,”” Hertog said.

Hertzog also said two $5,000 grants have been applied for, and she’s still looking at finding some money to move around within the ASUA budget.

“”It’s just a matter of going through each individual budget and seeing if there’s any cushion money that we can move,”” Hertzog said.

Club funding exhausted its budget before spring break, and clubs seeking money are currently being put on a waiting list.

Hertzog said any travel expenses can be reimbursed when the board resumes, but that the biggest problem is for clubs putting on events on campus, because they cannot be reimbursed.

While Gerner said he hopes appropriations meetings can resume in the next couple of weeks, Hertzog said it will be a while before they know exactly how much will carry over.

She said there’s no timeline for when allocation will pick back up.

“”The second we get money is the second we’ll have another meeting,”” Hertzog said.