Talking Points

“”I’ve been talking to some publishers, but nothing has happened yet – just a few visits.””
    -ÿfirst lady Laura Bush on reports that she plans to write her memoirs, Nov. 25, 2008

“”Republicans lost (the 2008 election) because of their harsh immigration policies. Hispanic people have been insulted, stereotyped, scapegoated for the past four or five years.””
    – Geraldo Rivera, Nov. 19, 2008

“”I think what the American people want more than anything is just common-sense smart government. They don’t want ideology. They don’t want bickering. They don’t want sniping. They want action, and they want effectiveness.””
    – President-elect Barack Obama,
    Nov. 25, 2008

“”It is a significant milestone.””
    – Otis W. Brawley, chief medical officer of the American Cancer Society, on news that the American cancer rate has started to decline for the first time in history, Nov. 25, 2008

“”For more than five years, the Bush administration has been holding Ali Al-Marri, a legal resident of the United States, in near isolation under President Bush’s reprehensible enemy combatant doctrine. The Supreme Court is to meet on Tuesday to decide whether to review the case, and it should. The justices need to make clear that a president cannot trample on individual rights by imprisoning people indefinitely simply by asserting that they are tied to terrorism. … The federal appeals court made clear that its ruling upholding the president’s power to detain enemy combatants applies equally to American citizens.””
    -ÿThe New York Times,
    “”Indefinite Detention,”” Nov. 24, 2008

“”You killed her in a very violent way, with repeated stabbing. There’s just no way around that. You did that. The choices you made, that you put into motion the first week you came to school, the choices you made in the early morning of Sept. 5, no sentence I can give can change that. Nothing I can do can give the Henderson family back their daughter (or) erase their pain.””
    -ÿPima County Superior Court Judge Nanette M. Warner, sentencing former UA student Galareka Harrison to life without parole for the September 2007 killing of Mia Henderson, Nov. 25, 2008

“”I feel like an old person now. I do! I go to bed at, like, 9:30 every night, and I don’t go out or anything.””
    – Britney Spears, quoted in Rolling Stone, Nov. 28, 2008 edition