Date Book

Campus Events

• Seminar. “”Reforming Immigration Policy in the Post 9-11 World”” organized by the student chapters of the American Constitution Society and the Federalist Society at The University of Arizona James E. Rogers College of Law. The keynote speakers are Isabel Garcia, co-chair of Derechos Humanos, and Michael Dougherty, legislative counsel of the U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee. All day. Free. College of Law, Room 146
  • Doctoral Final Oral Defense – History. Denise E. Bates presents “”Up from Obscurity: Indian Rights Activism and the Development of Tribal-State Relationships in the 1970s and 1980s Deep South.”” 9 a.m. Free. Social Sciences building, Room 128
  • Student Symposium. “”Memorializing Conflict”” presented by the Art History Graduate Student Association, this year’s symposium is multidisciplinary and welcomes student presenters from around the country. The topic examines the creation and social impacts of memorials to war, conflict or catastrophe. This year’s keynote speaker is Andrew Shanken of the University of California, Berkeley. 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Free. Center for Creative Photography, Room 108
  • Brown bag lecture. Michael Hechter, professor of globalization studies at Arizona State University, will discuss “”Alien Rule and its Discontents.”” Noon. Free. Social Sciences building,
    Room 415
  • Lecture. “”Unveiling a Supermassive Black Hole at the Center of our Galaxy,”” by Andrea Ghez from the department of physics and astronomy at the University of California, Los Angeles. 7:30 p.m. Free. Steward Observatory, Room N210
  • Entertainment

• Southwest Indian Art Fair. An exhibit illustrating Indian art opens today. 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Free. Arizona State Museum Lawn.
  • Phantasmagoria. Paintings by student artist Yumiko Omata. All day. Free. Student Union Memorial Center, Kachina Gallery
  • Revelations and Excavations. Abstract Oil and Mixed Media on Canvas by Elizabeth Quinn-Worrall. Focus on femininity. 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Free. Student Union Memorial Center, Union Gallery
  • Movie showing – Casino Royale. Gallagher Theater is hosting two showings of this movie. Rated PG-13, the film is 144 minutes long. 7 p.m. and 10 p.m. $3. Gallagher Theater