“Men’s, women’s track teams stay hot in Albuquerque”

As the season continues rolling, so do the achievements for the Arizona track and field team. The Wildcats added to their early-season success at the Cherry and Silver Invite in Albuquerque, N.M., on Saturday.

Senior Bobby McCoy became the newest UA athlete in the young season to earn a provisional qualification to the NCAA Indoor National Championships.

McCoy earned the bid with a stellar performance in the 400-meter race with a time of 47.06, which was good for second place.

By earning the qualification to the championships, McCoy joins teammates Liz Patterson (high jump), Zack Lloyd (shot put) and Gabriella Duclos (pole vault) as the first four UA athletes to receive bids this season.

Duclos continued her hot start to the year with a second-place finish in the pole vault at 3.95 meters. Even though Duclos performed well, she said she still felt she could have done a lot better.

“”I’m satisfied with the way I jumped but not satisfied with the results,”” Duclos said. “”I’m never 100 percent satisfied, though, because there’s always room for improvement.””

After a foot injury sidelined Duclos for the entire season last year, she has bounced back successfully, but said her recovery hasn’t been a walk in the park.

“”I don’t want to put too much impact on my foot,”” she said. “”I’m only jumping during competition.””

In response to her impressive first meet, Patterson appeared with a bit of a twist. Normally she is a jumper and the Wildcats’ reigning high jump champion for the outdoor season, but Patterson competed in the women’s 60-meter dash in Albuquerque.

Patterson ran so well that she not only finished in sixth place in a time of 7.66, but she also now stands as the Wildcats’ number one runner in that event.

This just goes to show what kind of work ethic the Wildcats have and how vital it is for the team’s success.

“”This past weekend we had better attitude and we were also a lot more aggressive,”” Duclos said. “”It always comes back to the entire team doing well. It’s the key point of the team and if people do well, everyone will want to follow.””