Summer tips

? Everyone loves summer, right? Not around here. Now that Tucson summer’s reached its “”eye of the hurricane,”” as it were, with random storms sweeping through town to ambush us, it’s worth reminding ourselves that it is summer by checking out some of the great summer-themed books, movies and albums out there.

Are there many good summer-themed movies out there? Not really, unless you think “”One Crazy Summer,”” “”Summer School,”” or “”Wet Hot American Summer”” have much to recommend them. “”Jaws”” may be the only good summer-themed movie in cinematic history, actually, unless you count the great “”Simpsons”” episode where Bart and Lisa stage a coup d’etat at Kamp Krusty.

Summer music’s easier to find. From Sly Stone’s “”Hot Fun in the Summertime”” and the Lovin’ Spoonful’s “”Summer in the City”” to Don Henley’s “”Boys of Summer”” and Bryan Adams’ “”Summer of ’69,”” summer has probably inspired more great songs than any other season. If you count songs without “”summer”” in the title, Alice Cooper’s “”School’s Out”” is right up there too.

What about books? Well, New York Review Books Classics just reissued Tove Jansson’s classic “”The Summer Book,”” and don’t forget Tennessee Williams’ chilling play “”Suddenly, Last Summer.””

Finally, if you’re turned off by all this specious summer-related cheer, check out “”The Bell Jar”” by Sylvia Plath, with its immortal opening line: “”It was a queer, sultry summer, the summer they electrocuted the Rosenbergs, and I didn’t know what I was doing in New York…””

? Rain may seem like a blessing in Arizona, but during monsoon season it can be cause for concern. As attractive as those shimmering wet roads might look to a native Tucson driver, it’s best to be extra cautious when navigating them during a rainy season.

Stay away from flooded washes. You’re likely to lose control of your car at 6 inches of water, and most vehicles will start floating at 6 feet. Just Saturday a local man was swept away while trying to cross a washed-out road after his car became disabled near West Speedway Boulevard and Interstate 10.

So as tempting as the rain might be, sometimes it’s just best to sit on your front porch and watch it. It’s quite a show. We suggest putting on Led Zeppelin’s “”When the Levee Breaks”” for maximum effect.

– Justyn Dillingham