Commencement: Senior sports awards

Hardest Worker: Brigette Del Ponte

Despite having to switch positions right before the beginning of the season, Brigette Del Ponte has continually worked hard to improve her game and contribute to the Arizona softball team over her four years here. The senior shortstop goes into the final two series of the season ranked in the top 10 in school history in doubles, homeruns, RBI and assists. Her dedication helped her reach a life-long goal earlier this year when she was drafted by the Akron Racers of National Pro Fastpitch. After playing with the Racers, she wants to return to the college softball scene and coach in a Division I program, she told the Arizona Daily Star.

– Evan Rosenfeld

Best hair: Taimi Tutogi

Head & Shoulders has a new model on the way. Pittsburgh Steelers safety Troy Polamalu needs to look out for Taimi Tutogi and his massive hair. Tutogi’s locks flow gracefully from his helmet and his auburn-colored curls are highlighted beautifully in the sunlight. Add the copper helmet and Tutogi’s head is like one big beam of sunshine. Tutogi isn’t the only football player with a bushel of hair — Sione Tuihalamaka also has a voluminous, frizzy ’do — but Tutogi’s mane wins by much more than a hair.

– Megan Coghlan

Best Leader: Brian Slugocki

Three-year captain Brian Slugocki played a vital role in Arizona hockey’s major transition from Icecats to Wildcats in 2011.

On the ice in 2012-13, he led the team in goals, tied for second in points and was third in assists and second in the country in power play goals.

– James Kelley

Most successful (non-athletics): John Bonano

It’s common for athletes to settle for generic majors so they can focus on athletics instead.

Except former Arizona kicker John Bonano. The senior is graduating with a degree in physiology and plans on going to medical school, should a professional football career not work out.

Bonano has been cited as one of the smartest players on last season’s team by head coach Rich Rodriguez and was one of the team’s most active senior leaders.

Bonano was second on the team in points scored with 102, behind running back Ka’Deem Carey, and converted 14-of-20 field goals and 58-of-59 PATs.

– Cameron Moon

Best role player: Kevin Parrom

During his sophomore season, forward Kevin Parrom blossomed into a solid contributor off the bench and looked to have a very bright future in Tucson. Then, Parrom’s world came crashing down.

Over the span of a couple months, he lost both his grandmother and mother to cancer and was shot in the leg while in New York tending to his ailing mother. With the support of the team, Parrom returned to the court for his junior season but was ineffective at times and was eventually lost to a season-ending foot injury.

As tragic as his junior campaign was, Parrom made a triumphant return and was a crucial piece during Arizona’s Sweet Sixteen this year. After coming off of the bench early in the season, head coach Sean Miller put the senior into the starting lineup during Pac-12 play and Parrom continued to produce.

While he was never the focus of the offense, Parrom’s sharpshooting was key when teams used zone defenses against the Wildcats. In addition to the obvious experience he brought, Parrom had the confidence to take big shots and, most importantly, he could make them as well. Parrom averaged 8.3 points, and 4.9 rebounds and consistently shot well, averaging 48-40-77 on the season.

He never quite developed into the star he could have been, but Parrom was exactly what the Wildcats needed — an unselfish, do-everything role player.

– Kyle Johnson