Sights and Sounds from Oregon

EUGENE, Ore. ð- Oregon fans found no shortage of ways to get creative at McArthur Court Saturday. Fans held a large sign that read “”Happy Retirement Lute”” and students wore celebratory party hats.

For senior Mustafa Shakur, students held a superimposed picture of Steve Urkel from “”Family Matters”” on an enlarged print out of a CatCard.

Oregon’s version of the Zona Screw, the Pit Crew Post, said, “”Did I do that?”” on the back.

Fans also chanted “”Who’s the standard?”” at forward Marcus Williams in reference to his comments about Arizona being the standard of the Pac-10 rather than UCLA.

“”I don’t even hear them,”” Williams said of the fans. “”The only time I hear them is when I’m warming up, and then I’ll get some laughs in. Oregon is pretty good. As far as in the games all I feel is noise, and you can feel it, like when (Oregon guard Tajuan) Porter hit the 3-ball (to give the Ducks the lead with 22 seconds left), it was deafening.””

Freshman Chase Budinger said the atmosphere was “”awesome,”” while Shakur, who took the brunt of the abuse, said, “”You hear it, but I think guys that are here are pretty much used to it, and we play through it.””

UA head coach Lute Olson, who’s been critical of Arizona’s student section, called Oregon’s one of the top-three opposing arenas his teams have visited.

“”This is always one of the great basketball places in terms of crowd,”” Olson said. “”They were doing their job from the start. It’s one of the toughest places in the country to play.””

Walking advertisements

Nike founder Phil Knight was in attendance wearing – you guessed it – a pair of Nikes, sitting next to Ahmad Rashad and former Ducks quarterback Joey Harrington.

Also, both coaching staffs wore sneakers to promote exercise and health as part of a campaign for the American Cancer Society, in what has become an annual event.