PSU home to rotating art

Graduate student David Saling has work on display in the Park Student Union. Salings drawings and paintings are part of a rotating exhibit of student artists in PSU.
    Graduate student David Saling has work on display in the Park Student Union. Saling’s drawings and paintings are part of a rotating exhibit of student artists in PSU.

The words “”turkey on rye, no onions, cold,”” are displayed on the Park Student Union wall dozens of times, but they’re not advertising, they’re art.

The drawings and paintings of UA student David Saling currently adorn the walls of the Park Student Union as part of a rotating schedule of student artists whose works are displayed each month.

Most of the drawings and paintings by Saling, a fine arts graduate student, were done on white paper lunch sacks like the ones his 7-Eleven sandwiches came in, but some paintings adorning the walls are on large pieces of canvas.

“”I started doing drawings while I was waiting in line,”” Saling said. “”I started thinking, ‘You know what? I’ll do the drawings on bags.'””

Saling said although his art’s only definite characteristics are elements of irony and satire, he often deals with gender ideas but doesn’t limit himself to any one subject.

“”Anything that’s a current event is fair game,”” Saling said. “”A lot of it just comes out of my head.””

Jenny French, the graduate assistant for PSU operations and activities, said the art was intended to update the dining room’s look and feel.

“”It’s supposed to make the PSU more homey and welcoming,”” French said.

French said PSU patrons often comment on the art.

“”I think we’ve had a lot of good feedback about (Saling’s art),”” French said.

Microbiology sophomore Ryan Weitzel agreed the art was refreshing and interesting to look at.

He said he noticed the artwork while dining and was pleased to see it.

“”I did glance over there and I was happy,”” Weitzel said. “”It makes me think.””

Senior dining services attendant Eddie Contreras said he was excited to see something new covering the PSU’s typically wood-paneled walls.

“”It brings out an element we didn’t have here at the PSU,”” Contreras said. “”That’s a good thing.””

Contreras said he thinks the art completely changes the look and feel of the dining room.

“”It adds a bit of prestige,”” Contreras said. “”We can call the PSU the Prestige Student Union.””

Saling’s work will be on display until mid to late March, French said.

Saling said anyone who would like to see more of his work will have an opportunity starting April 14 at the UA Museum of Art, where he and about 16 other art students will display their work.