Mayor chats up students

Tucson Mayor Bob Walkup, left, talks with Rick Chesney, a junior majoring in business and architecture, about his plans for Tucson at a campaign event at Gentle Bens yesterday afternoon.
    Tucson Mayor Bob Walkup, left, talks with Rick Chesney, a junior majoring in business and architecture, about his plans for Tucson at a campaign event at Gentle Ben’s yesterday afternoon.

Students and Tucson residents munched on chips and salsa while listening to Mayor Bob Walkup discuss his future plans for Tucson at Gentle Ben’s Brewing Company yesterday.

Lisa Lovallo, director of student affairs development and advancement for the Dean of Students Office, helped set up the event, which was open to the public, and said it was a good way for students to get involved with politics.

“”This is a way to make sure he is accessible to the students, faculty and employees of the university,”” Lovallo said. “”The public venue is also a great way for people to hear his campaign views.””

Blake Rebling, president of the UA College Republicans, said the event was a great way for the mayor to get closer to students.

“”It’s a nice way to show support for our great mayor,”” Rebling said. “”It’s a great opportunity to get up-close and personal with a public official.””

The UA and UA College Republicans co-hosted the event with the owner of Gentle Ben’s, Mike Berard.

“”This is a great gathering place for my campaign because there are a lot of good people – young, energetic and
    enthusiastic people.””

– Bob Walkup,
    Tucson mayor

“”I met Walkup when he was running for his first time eight years ago,”” Berard said. “”I was trying to see how I could help, and I thought Gentle Ben’s would be a great venue for the mayor to talk to young people.””

The campaign event was the second one held at Gentle Ben’s as a way to help Walkup in this year’s campaign.

Brice McCoy, president-elect of the UA College Republicans, said the event was the perfect opportunity for students to attend a campaign event that was right on campus.

“”It’s great to have campaign events within the reach of students,”” McCoy said. “”It gives them the opportunity to meet with the mayor.””

Walkup addressed the crowd of about 30 people, covering past issues and fielding questions about his future plans for the city should he be re-elected.

One of his future plans is the development of a street car that would connect the UA with downtown Tucson and the construction of off-campus housing in downtown for students, faculty and married couples.

“”This event is all about fellowship,”” Walkup said. “”This is a great gathering place for my campaign because there are a lot of good people – young, energetic and enthusiastic people.””

Walkup is currently running unopposed for the November election, but said he still needs to run a campaign so people know what he stands for.

“”All those people out there need to know what I stand for and the key issues I’ll be working on,”” Walkup said.