Police Beat: Oct. 7

*Coronado canopy conundrum *

A University of Arizona Police Department officer responded to Coronado Residence Hall on Monday morning in reference to a report of vandalism. The officer met with an employee of Lloyd Construction, the company providing construction services during the renovation of the residence hall. The employee said he noticed when he arrived in the morning that the word “Coronado” had been cut out of the north fabric canopy of the building. The officer searched the area and found another canopy that had “Coronado” cut out of it. The employee said the canopies had been intact on Sept. 30 when he left at 5 p.m. There is no video surveillance footage available for the area. The officer photographed the damage and a victim’s rights form was mailed to the UA.

Welding machine stolen

A UAPD officer responded to the Prince Farms at 3199 N. Freeway in reference to a burglary on Monday. The officer spoke to one of the caretakers of Prince Farms, who said that someone had broken into the farms over the weekend. The suspect had destroyed the chain securing the main entrance to the area and the lock and chain that secured a surplus storage area. A Lincoln Ranger Welding machine was stolen from the storage area. There were tire marks going into the area, but the rain had mostly washed them out. There were no other signs of forced entry. The officer photographed the damage and victim’s rights forms were mailed to the UA.

A magistrate-approved pissing point

A UAPD officer responded to the Office of Study Abroad and Student Exchange around 10 a.m. on Monday in reference to a man who had urinated behind the building. The officer spoke with an employee who said the man had left and was sitting by the University Services Building. The officer located the man and a records check showed he had previously been warned by UAPD for sleeping in the stairwell of McClelland Hall. The study abroad employee positively identified the man as the one who had peed behind the office. The man admitted to peeing behind the building and said that according to his “telemap,” the “area behind that address is a magistrate approved pissing point” and he is legally allowed to piss there. The man was cited for being a criminal nuisance and was served with a six-month exclusionary order from the UA. He was released at the scene and left campus.

Walk of shame turns ugly

A UAPD officer responded to the Sixth Street Parking Garage at 1:20 a.m. on Sept. 16 in reference to several men fighting. A witness reported that a man was being beat up by a group of men. One of the men was described as shirtless. Police searched the area and found a man matching the description who was walking near Park Avenue with a pair of boxers in his hand. The man said he was on his way back to his room at Arizona-Sonora Residence Hall from a woman’s room on Highland Avenue. He said he had been having sex with the woman and that is why he was carrying his boxers, because he left with just his pants on. He said he was walking when a group of men were “talking shit” behind him. One of the men, whom he said he knew from Facebook, started fighting with him and said he was only protecting himself. He did not wish to press charges for the fight. The man had a strong odor of alcohol coming from his mouth and he had red, watery eyes. The man was cited and released at the scene for minor in possession of alcohol in body.