Women’s golf in fifth at Dixie Classic after 1st day

Alison Walshe
    Alison Walshe

After the first two rounds of play at the BYU Dixie Classic, the No. 11 Arizona women’s golf team sits in fifth place.

UA head coach Greg Allen described the Wildcats’ day as “”not pretty”” after they carded a 15-over 303 in the first round and a 19-over 307 in the second round, totaling a 34-over-par day.

“”I think they are just mentally exhausted from this little stretch we are on right now,”” Allen said. “”It wasn’t a good day for us. We are getting beat by teams we normally don’t even play against.

“”With that being said, it is just disappointing.””

Arizona is sitting 20 strokes behind first-place No. 13 BYU, who shot a 14-over 590 as team.

Despite the Wildcats’ first-day struggles, No. 12 Alison Walshe had an impressive showing when she carded a first-day total of 147 (3-over-par) that landed her a spot in sixth place on the individual leaderboard.

“”If we want to get back in this thing we are definitely going to need some help from BYU.We just need to be patient and just try to make as many birdies as we can.””
    – Greg Allen,
    UA head coach

Although Walshe led the Wildcats in the first round, she still feels she has plenty of room for improvement, she said.

“”I still kind of struggled today with some bad holes,”” the junior said. “”I don’t think we played very well as a team. I think everyone is a little frustrated.””

Sophomore Adriana Zwanck, who ranked No. 52 individually, finished in 11th place overall after a six-over 150 through the first two rounds.

No. 32 Mary Jacobs, who finished the day in 30th place individually, started off the day strong by shooting a team-low 1-over 73. But she could not build on her momentum and shot a 10-over 82 in the following round.

“”If we want to get back in this thing, we are definitely going to need some help from BYU,”” Allen said. “”We just need to be patient and just try to make as many birdies as we can.””