Police Beat

Cement truck exhaust sets off sprinkler at UMC

The University of Arizona Police Department responded to a fire alarm at University Medical Center at 4:37 a.m. on June 10.

The responding officer noticed water pouring out of a loading dock at UMC and onto the street. The officer was approached by a cement truck driver, who told the officer that he had parked his truck by the loading dock and left the engine running. After the truck had been idling for approximately four or five minutes, an overhead sprinkler activated and began to spray water over the area. The driver then repositioned his truck to a different area.

The officer noted that the sprinkler head did not appear to be physically damaged and witnesses on the scene corroborated the driver’s story. Water from the sprinkler did not cause any damage to the building. The sprinkler head was replaced and the fire alarm was reset.

‘Prostate problems’ cause public urination

A UAPD officer observed a suspicious male standing on the west side of a residence located at 749 E. Speedway Blvd. on June 10 at 1 p.m. The officer noted that the man was urinating on the building and made contact with the subject. The male provided identification to the officer and complained that he had prostate problems that prevented him from controlling his bladder. The officer noted that the man showed signs of alcohol consumption. The subject was cited on charges of criminal littering and was released at the scene.

Driver says her gasoline was stolen

A UAPD officer responded to a suspected larceny call at Highland Parking Garage on June 10 at 4:32 p.m. The officer made contact with the owner of a 2008 Pontiac Grand Prix. The driver told police that some time between 7:30 a.m. and 4:15 p.m., somebody stole gasoline from her vehicle.

She stated that when she had parked her car in the garage in the morning, she had approximately a quarter tank of fuel. Upon returning to her car, she noticed that the vehicle’s fuel light was illuminated and she was “”coasting on fumes.”” The driver said that the vehicle had no locking gas cap or gas door that would prevent someone from gaining access to the vehicle’s fuel tank.

There are no suspects or witnesses at this time.

Dodge truck couldn’t dodge thief

A UAPD officer responded to a suspected larceny call on June 8 at 5:14 p.m.

The officer met with the victim at a parking lot located at 1420 E. 7th St. The victim told the officer that sometime between 8:15 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., a white Dodge pickup truck belonging to his father was taken from the lot. The victim was certain that he had left the vehicle locked and he was still in possession of the keys when officers arrived.

No evidence was found on the scene and the victim was given a Victim’s Rights packet. At 7:44 p.m. that evening, the Arizona Department of Public Safety recovered the vehicle on West Valencia Road. The vehicle was drivable, but the driver’s door and ignition sustained damage during the theft.