Police Beat: September 27

Fish out of water

A UAPD officer responded to the Hillenbrand Aquatic Center at about 2:49 a.m. on Sept. 22 in response to a motion alarm that was triggered in the pool area. When the officer arrived, another officer and a detective were already there.

The officer entered the pool area and saw a man standing underneath the high dive board and a group of men and women swimming.

When ordered to get out of the pool, all of them climbed out of the pool and ran toward the northwest area. Two of the women, who were naked, ran around looking for their clothes.

The four men were roommates and the three women were roommates. All seven were UA students ranging from 19 to 22 years of age.

They claimed that they weren’t attempting to leave, but were getting dressed.
    When the officer spoke with the women, they said they hadn’t realized the pool had motion detectors.

Each student was cited and released for second-degree criminal trespassing.

Hush-hush hit-and-run

A black Volkswagen Jetta drove up on the sidewalk and grass area north of Coronado Residence Hall, running into a concrete trash can and a bicycle and almost hitting several witnesses at around 5:10 p.m. on Sept. 22. Witnesses later said that the driver rolled down his window and put his index finger to his lips as if he were telling them to be quiet.

The car then drove away.

An officer arrived at the scene shortly and spoke with witnesses about the hit-and-run accident. They all stated that pedestrians had been sitting on the benches on the north side of Coronado, near the bicycle racks, when the car drove up onto the sidewalk. The car came from Tyndall Avenue and was headed toward the closed gates at Euclid Avenue before the driver turned around.

The concrete trashcan was destroyed, an ashtray was damaged and the bicycle had damage to its rear tire. Witnesses said that the vehicle had been traveling at a high speed.

The driver was between 18 and 22 years of age.

Several units patrolled the area, searching for a vehicle with significant damage to the front and passenger side. Photographs were taken at the scene and damaged parts left from the incident were placed into evidence.

The general maintenance mechanic and the resident assistant on duty at Coronado were also informed of the incident.

There was not enough information at the time to investigate further.

A bitter pill to swallow

Two students were victims of a theft that occurred between 9 p.m. and midnight on the night of Sept. 17 in Apache-Santa Cruz Residence Hall. The police weren’t informed of the theft until Sept. 23, as the students’ RA was on vacation at the time of the incident.

The students told the dispatched officer that they left their second floor dorm room to go to a friend’s room and didn’t return until hours later. Once they returned, they noticed their door was unlocked and $60 had been taken from the top of one of their desks. The student whose money had been stolen also noticed his iPod was gone.

The second student realized his prescription medication had been taken from the top of his desk.
    The iPod was worth $200 and the stolen prescription medication was worth $20. The iPod owner was advised to contact UAPD if he was able to provide a serial number and the other resident was advised to call his insurance company so that he could refill his prescription.

Both residents asked to be involved in any further proceedings.