Greek students with high GPAs recognized at scholarship banquet

Select greek students who achieved a 4.0 grade point average last semester were awarded with food and entertainment last night at the second semi-annual all-greek scholarship banquet.

“”I think it is good they are rewarding people for their hard work,”” said Kyle Bohan, a pharmaceutical sciences junior. “”I’m kind of coming for the food, to be honest with you.””

The Interfraternity Council, Panhellenic Council and National Panhellenic Councils hosted the event in an effort to promote a positive image of UA Greek Life.

The 193 academic honorees comprised 7

I think it is good they are rewarding people for their hard work. I’m kind of coming for the food, to be honest with you.

– Kyle Bohan,
    pharmaceutical sciences junior

percent of greeks on campus, and less than 50 of those students attended the dinner, where they were served food and allowed to sit in with a hypnotist for free.

Chad Sewell, IFC president and a political science junior, said the event is good for Greek Life in general.

“”The banquet sheds a positive light on the greek system, which generally is looked at with a bad connotation,”” Sewell said.

Nicole Mallery, an undeclared sophomore, said the event promotes scholarship and togetherness within the greek community.

“”The event is getting better every semester,”” Mallery said. “”It’s not just dinner, it’s a fun social event.””

The National Panhellenic Conference governs sororities, and the North American Interfraternity Council governs fraternities.

Greek students are to participate in their respective fraternities under a set of specific “”standards,”” according to the North American Interfraternity Council’s Web site.

Some of these guidelines include academic success, leadership development and social skill development, according to the Web site.

Members of greek organizations are also known to participate in mandatory philanthropy events to benefit the community.

Joni Saquilayan, vice president of internal affairs for the Panhellenic Council and a physiological sciences senior, said the banquet was good for promoting greek unity.

“”We invited all men and women who received a 4.0 last semester,”” Saquilayan said. “”We are recognizing them for their hard work.””