Do It! on screen

Janale Harris (Quanstar) is an emcee who has spent the past seven years without sleep.

“”Insane is how most of my friends would describe my work ethic,”” the multitalented artist said.

Harris lacks sleep because he is busy running his own record label, producing his own singles, being a single dad, working a full time job and every now and then going on tour.

Although Harris is far from slowing down his efforts to break into the mainstream music, he has learned to put things in perspective. He can’t dictate what goes on the radio and what little of his work does get spun loses money.

“”I kind of have to learn to run my own race,”” Harris said.

Right now, the race isn’t going well. Harris is dealing with home foreclosure this year, and during his most recent tour, the one covered in “”Do it!: A Documentary,”” everything humanly possible goes awry. But Harris powers through.

“”If you want it, you got to get it. It’s out there…Jay-Z said a line one time, ‘Work now. Rest when you die.’ And that’s true…anybody can get it but it’s not going to wait for you to decide actually.””

The tour was worth it, and working full time is worth it, because Harris said he feels strongly about his music and performances.

“”No matter what happens that day, when you perform, by the time you get off the stage, you’re chill…you’re chill. You’re like ‘fuck it.’ I feel good right now. And that’s the most beautiful thing about performing.””