14 Wildcat track and field athletes earn trip to NCAA Championships

Trent Brendel/Arizona Athletics

The women’s 4×100 meter relay race at the NCAA West Preliminary Round in Sacramento, Calif on  May 26 2018. 

Arizona track and field recently finished up its trip to Sacramento, California. for the NCAA West Preliminary Round. Many Wildcats were able to punch their tickets to Eugene, Oregon for the Division I Championships, which start on June 6 and go until June 9.

The preliminary rounds were highlighted by the performance of freshman Maksims Sincukovs who set a record in the 400-meter hurdles. His time of 50.62 broke the event record for freshmen which had stood since 2002.

Sincukovs finished fourth in his 400-meter hurdle heat and took ninth place overall to advance to the NCAA Championships.

RELATED: Geist named Pac-12 Men’s Track and Field Freshman of the Year

Another standout freshman, Jordan Geist, qualified for the NCAA Championships in the discus throw. Geist finished 12th place in the preliminary rounds with a mark of 55.39 meters.

Jordan Geist prepares to release a shot put during the Desert Heat Classic on April 28, at the Roy P. Drachman Stadium in Tucson, Ariz.

Geist earned another entry to Eugene after throwing a mark of 20.27 meters in the shot put, garnering him a second-place award in the event.

Geist’s teammate and fellow discus thrower, Turner Washington, also qualified for the NCAA Championships after throwing a mark of 55.39 meters (181-8) to finish in 10th place on the tournament.

On the track side of things, Umajesty Williams ran a time of 46.32 in the men’s 400-meter dash. In the ladies’ 200-meter dash, Brena Andrews clocked a time of 24.43 and Kayla Ferron clocked a time of 10:45.96 in the 3K steeplechase.

Redshirt senior Collins Kibet clocked a time of 1:48.15 to finish sixth in his heat in the 800-meter dash. Kibet finished in ninth overall to advance to the NCAA Championships.

Redshirt junior, Bailey Roth, ran a time of 8:45.70 in the 3K steeplechase to finish third in his heat and earn and automatic qualifying trip to the NCAA Championships.

The ladies’ 4×100-meter relay team of Savaughn Christman, Tatum Waggoner, Pamela White, and Brena Andrews earned a ticket to Eugene, Oregon after getting a mark of 44.84 and an eleventh-place finish in the preliminary rounds.

The ladies’ 4×400-meter relay team of Diana Gajda, Karolina Pahlitzsch, Katelin Warren, and Tatum Waggoner advanced to Eugene after a tenth-place finish and time of 3:35.60.

After the Wildcats’ impressive performances in Sacramento this past week, they are looking to make some more noise at historic Hayward Field in Oregon.

Follow Amit Syal on Twitter