Rich Rodriguez named Arizona head coach, Byrne announces on Twitter

Greg Byrne tweeted this photo of new Arizona head coach Rich Rodriguez and his family to announce the football coach’s hire.

Former Michigan head coach Rich Rodriguez was named Arizona’s head coach by Arizona athletic director Greg Byrne via Twitter.

CBS Sports’ Bruce Feldman was the first to break the report.

“Expect Rich Rodriguez to be named the next Arizona head coach in the next 48 hours according to sources,” Feldman said on his Twitter account.

“Expect RichRod to be rejoined at Arizona by many of his former staffers from WVU and Michigan… The Pac-12 just got tougher,” he later tweeted.

Byrne tweeted the photo around 5:37 p.m. MST Monday night.

Rodriguez went 15-22 in three seasons at Michigan after spending seven years at West Virginia, where he complied a 60-24 record and led the Mountaineers to two BCS bowl berths and three top-12 finishes.

But Rodriguez became a controversial figure while at Michigan. The school self-imposed two years of probation after the NCAA found five potentially major rules violations, all related to accusations that the program was exceeding NCAA limits on training and practice time.

Arizona fired former head coach Mike Stoops on Oct. 10 after a 37-27 loss to then-winless Oregon State. The Wildcats are currently 3-8 after upsetting rival ASU on Saturday, and host Louisiana-Lafayette on Saturday at 2 p.m.

Check back with DailyWildcat.com and follow @WildcatSports on Twitter for continuing coverage of the coaching search.