UA soccer can’t earn sweep of Oregon schools

UA forward Renae Cuellar fights for the ball with Oregon defender Darcie Gardner during a 1-0 Wildcat loss Sunday at Murphey Field. Arizona beat Oregon State 2-1 on Friday.

It was a weekend of extreme highs and lows for the Arizona soccer team.

Two days after the Wildcats converted on a pair of opportunities in Friday’s match to capture a much-needed 2-1 win against Oregon State (6-8-2, 1-4-1 Pacific 10 Conference) on senior night, the team watched as multiple chances slipped through its fingers en route to a disappointing 1-0 loss to Oregon (9-7-2, 2-4-1).

“”(Sunday’s) game was a game of chances and (Oregon) took advantage of theirs,”” UA head coach Dan Tobias said. “”We did some good things today, just not enough good things in front of the goal and it cost us.””

Through the first of Sunday’s battles, nearly everything – including the score – was even. Arizona (9-9, 2-4) applied pressure early, but struggled around the goal, only taking four shots during the period.

As the game moved into the second half, the chances increased for the Wildcats, but so did the misses.

With the Wildcats’ front line missing senior London King, who saw limited action due to food poisoning, forward Renae Cuellar took charge of the offense and recorded four shots on the afternoon, including two on goal.

One of Cuellar’s best opportunities came in the game’s 67th minute, as Cuellar broke away from Oregon defenders and had a one-on-one chance with Ducks’ goalkeeper Cody Miles. But Miles sniffed out Cuellar’s move and blocked the shot from just inside the box.

“”It happens to everybody,”” Cuellar said of missing the chance. “”Opportunities are opportunities; you want to capitalize on them but sometimes that doesn’t happen, you just have to keep shooting.””

Shortly after Cuellar’s shot, the Ducks made the Wildcats pay for it as a defensive breakdown led to Oregon’s Jen Stoltenberg taking a pass from midfielder Jessica Goodell and drilling it to the upper left corner of the net, just out of reach for UA goalkeeper Chelsea McIntyre.

“”We weren’t organized – it was kind of chaotic,”” said UA defender Brianna Caceres. “”We lost the ball and it has to get through all 10 players on the field in order to get into the back of the net, so it was just a breakdown everywhere.””

Arizona did manage to scratch out one more good opportunity with a minute left as midfielder Leila Amini was set up for a free kick from just outside the box. But the shot came out soft and right into Miles’ waiting arms.

“”The difference was Oregon’s shots were great,”” Caceres said. “”(Their shots) were in the corner and they made Chelsea work. Our shots were right to the keeper.””

Sunday’s game came on the tail end of an otherwise positive weekend for the Wildcats.

On Friday, Arizona fought back from a 1-0 first-half deficit and scored two goals in a five-minute span.

Forward Jasmine Namdar took control of the game midway through the period and punched in a rebound from midfielder Macke Mutz’s throw-in, off Oregon State’s goalkeeper to put the Wildcats on the board.

Five minutes later, Namdar centered a pass to King, who headed in the go-ahead goal.

Extra Time
    Defender Brianna Caceres tied former Wildcat Mallory Miller’s mark for games played in a career, with 80.

“”I’m just happy to be able to play that many games with no major injuries,”” Caceres said. “”I’m grateful and I thank God I’ve had the opportunity to play this game for so long.””

Teammate London King is one behind Caceres with 79.