Police Beat

A man was arrested at East Speedway Boulevard and North Olive Road for three outstanding Tucson Police Department warrants at 10:19 p.m. March 31.

At 10:07 p.m. an officer made contact with a man after a community service officer observed him in possession of two bikes.

The man was riding a black mountain bike and pulling a silver mountain bike behind him. The officer asked the man why he had two bikes and he said both bikes were his and that he was taking them home.

Both bicycles’ serial numbers were checked and neither bike had been reported stolen.

A warrants check on the man showed he had three outstanding warrants and the man was arrested.

After the man was searched, the officer found wire cutters, a crescent wrench and a box cutter on the man’s person.

The man was transported to Pima County Jail where he was booked.

At 11:51 p.m. a report was made regarding a stolen bike matching the silver bike the man was pulling behind him.

A woman reported an odor of marijuana coming from a room in the Kaibab-Huachuca Residence Hall, 922 E. Fourth St., March 30.

When an officer arrived at 12:10 a.m. he met with the on-duty resident assistant, who said she had been doing rounds when she noticed the smell of marijuana coming from a room. She escorted the officer to the room belonging to a male student.

The officer knocked on the door and a man answered. When he opened the door the officer noticed an odor of marijuana coming from inside the room.

The man exited the room and joined the officer in the hall. He said he was visiting his friend, who was the resident of the room and they were just watching a movie.

The man denied use of marijuana and did not display any signs or symptoms of use. The officer asked the resident if he would step out and talk and he did. He attempted to close the door but, not knowing if others were in the room, the officer asked the resident to leave the door open. The resident did so reluctantly.

The resident said he had not smoked marijuana and that it was common for the hallway and his room to smell that way. The officer asked the resident to stick out his tongue and noticed a green colored tinge on the back of it, which is consistent with marijuana use.

The officer asked the resident when he last smoked and he said two days ago. The resident’s eyes were red and glossy.

When the officer asked the resident for consent to search his room, he refused and said, “”There are things I do not want you to see.””

As a result of the odor of marijuana coming from the room and the signs of use the man was displaying, Residence Life will address the issue internally.

A man was arrested for an outstanding misdemeanor warrant from TPD for a probation violation near East Eighth Street and North Santa Rita Avenue on March 30.

At 7:50 a.m. an officer conducted a traffic stop on a subject riding a bike after he failed to signal a right hand turn.

The man got off his bike and identified himself with Sonora, Mexico identification.

The officer asked the man why he was riding a child’s bike and he said he was testing it out for his kid. When asked where he lived the man said he lived near Kino Parkway and East Broadway Boulevard.

The officer asked him why he was testing the bike two blocks from his house and he did not have an answer.

The officer conducted a records check on the man and a warrant for an extreme DUI he had been charged with came up.

The man attempted to get back on his bicycle and flee and the officer grabbed him and told him to get on the ground.

The man got on the ground and was placed into handcuffs at 7:59 a.m.

The man was taken to Pima County Jail and booked.