“Ford v Ferrari” accelerates and never slows down

Matt Damon and Christian Bale star in “Ford v Ferrari.” (Courtesy of IMBD)

Headlined by two of today’s best working actors Matt Damon and Christian Bale, “Ford v Ferrari” was destined to be great, and it certainly was.

Set in the 1960s, “Ford v Ferrari” follows car designer Carroll Shelby and race car driver Ken Miles as they team up with Ford to build a car to try and beat Ferrari at the 24 hours of Le Mans in France.

I was fascinated by the fact that a 24-hour race is held every year in France, and this film does a brilliant job of showcasing how tiring and intense that race is. As we follow Ken throughout this race, we see him in and out of the car with his partner for the race, as one driver couldn’t possibly do all 24 hours alone.

RELATED: 2019 Awards Season

Every time Damon or Bale were on screen, they commanded that scene and proved why there were the best actors in the business. When they were on screen together, their chemistry was also excellent. Jon Bernthal and Caitriona Balfe were also some standouts in supporting roles.

My biggest piece of advice would be to see this movie on the biggest screen possible. I saw it in IMAX and the racing sequences were absolutely exhilarating and some of the best scenes of the year. Director James Mangold really made you feel as though you were in the car with Ken, and anytime there was a race, I couldn’t help but sit up on the edge of my seat.

RELATED: “The Lighthouse” shines bright

Another feather in this film’s cap is that you don’t have to know anything about cars or racing to follow the story and be entertained. I have no interest in racecar driving and was still entertained to the max. All of the dialogue about fixing the parts in the car and other ways to make it go faster and things of that nature were easy to understand and I never felt out of the loop, which is a testament to the script.

This is the definition of an underdog story and a crowd-pleaser. Was it a bit cheesy and formulaic? Sure. But it was just as entertaining as any movie I’ve seen so far this year, and it is not one you wanna miss in theaters.

“Ford v Ferrari” is exhilarating and crowd-pleasing cinema at its finest. Christian Bale and Matt Damon have perfect chemistry and were both fantastic. See this on the biggest screen you possibly can. You’ll be on the edge of your seat during every racing scene, which are shot to perfection.

“Ford v Ferrari” gets an A.

See the trailer here:

Follow Edward Vento on Twitter