Police Beat

A man was arrested after he was involved in a fight with another man at Kaibab-Huachuca Residence Hall, 922 E. Fourth St., Saturday.

When the police officer arrived at the dorm, he met with a resident assistant who said a fight was occurring involving three men on the second floor.

When the officer got to the second floor, there was no active fight going on. Several people standing in the hall said one of the involved men was in the bathroom.

The man in the bathroom was washing his face and had been involved in a fight with two other men. He had an abrasion on his forehead and a laceration between his eye and nose.

He refused medical treatment and said he did not lose consciousness.

He said he was standing in the hall with his friend when an unknown man joined them and started waving a purple tube in his face.

The injured man told him to move the tube away, and the unknown man got in his face and began talking loudly.

The injured man said he couldn’t remember who started pushing, but that they eventually started fighting. He said another man came from around the corner and started punching him, as well.

When people began to come out of their rooms, the two assailants left.

The injured man said he did not want to press any criminal charges.

The officer made contact with the man who jumped into the fight. The man said he heard a fight, and saw his friend fighting, so he jumped in.

During the fight a knife was mentioned, so the officer asked to search this man’s room. The officer did not find a knife, but did find a half-full beer the man said he was holding for a friend, as well as a pipe.

He said he had not smoked marijuana in two months and forgot the pipe was there.

No other contraband was found.

The man was arrested for possession of drug paraphernalia and being an underage person with spirituous liquor in the body.

Two men were cited Friday for possession of marijuana and fireworks at La Paz Residence Hall, 602 N. Highland Ave.

A resident assistant smelled marijuana coming from a room and called police.

The RA made contact with two residents who tried to leave the room but were told to wait until the University of Arizona Police Department arrived.

When an officer arrived, he could smell a strong odor of burnt marijuana coming from the room the RA identified.

The officer asked the two men if he could enter their room and they agreed. The officer asked if he could search their room, and they said yes.

On one side of the room the officer found a locked, black, thick, book-sized box on his desk. One of the residents opened it; inside was Alpha Epsilon Pi memorabilia and a device that looked like a homemade explosive.

The man stated it was a smoke bomb tied to firecrackers with a stink bomb attached. He said he bought all the items in California and assembled them one night in Arizona when he was bored.

He also said he was going to detonate the bomb at the Alpha Epsilon Pi fraternity house to play a prank on his fellow brothers.

On the other resident’s side of the room, the officer found two metal grinders that smelled of marijuana, two lighters, an ashtray and a locked chest that smelled of marijuana.

Inside the chest were approximately 20 empty bottles of alcohol and a nylon zippered case containing eight containers. The containers contained marijuana of different types from California.

The chest’s owner was cited for possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia.

The officer also found a corked five-gallon water jug with brown, chunky liquid waste in it. The men said they were too lazy to dispose of their liquids like cereal milk, so they poured it in the jug.

The empty alcohol bottles were thrown away, and the explosive device was confiscated.

The Tucson Police Department bomb squad was called to analyze and dispose of the device. It was then concluded that it was five firecrackers and a stink bomb-duct taped to a smoke bomb.

The second resident was cited for possession of fireworks.

UAPD notified the Dean of Students Office about a Code of Conduct violation regarding explosives and about the men’s collection of biohazard waste and unsanitary living quarters.

Both men were released.

Police Beat is compiled from official University of Arizona Police?Department reports. A complete list of UAPD activity can be found at www.uapd.arizona.edu.