Rockin’ around town

When the weekend rolls around, sometimes you’ve just got to go head-bang to some live rock – or, at the very least, bob your head to some live folk. The Wildcat went in search of the best local concert venues, and this is what we came up with.

Looking for an easy first date or just plain craving some decent music at some even more decent prices?

Luckily for poor college students and music enthusiasts alike, Tucson is a great place to find concerts almost any day of the week at a variety of unique local venues. Showcasing everything from your Tucson mainstays to up-and-comers on tour, it’s no coincidence that all these venues are located in historic downtown, mere miles from the UA.

The lively shows and young crowds are a perfect opportunity for college students and slightly aged hipsters to promote the local art scene and learn about new bands before they sell out and start playing stadiums.

1. Club Congress,
    311 E. Congress St.

Part of the historic Hotel Congress, Club Congress offers a variety of activities, and usually about one live band per week. If you can get past the limited parking and annoying road construction, you’ll find everything from karaoke, a great place to dance and The Tap Room for liquid courage for the above activities.

Club Congress is a must for any Tucsonan or Tucson wannabe and it’s worth checking our their music scene: They showcase a handful of up-and-coming acts, but have established themselves enough to grab some big names as well.

2. The Rialto Theatre,
    318 E. Congress St.

No, you didn’t read the address wrong – this place is literally across the street from Club Congress. Unlike Congress, however, the Rialto isn’t a dance club or a bar; it’s strictly music here. The hallways here are lined with old posters, showcasing the big and small names that have passed through the theatre.

About 90 percent of the venue is general admission, meaning if you get there early, you can basically be in the front row of any show, but it’s standing room only. For a little more money, there’s always the balcony seats, but that makes you a sellout and you’re farther away from the action, so stick to general admission and hit up the Rialto for some big name acts that still want to connect to their audiences.

3. The Rock,
    136 N. Park Ave.

You might drive right past this little place without realizing it’s a concert venue if it weren’t for the loud rock music vibrating down he quiet streets during shows. The Rock is basically a big, square brick building that is closed a lot. It opens strictly for shows, but can actually be “”rented”” for your own show or event if you so feel inclined.

The Rock has definitely established itself; its slogan reads, “”Where legends continue.”” This little building on the quiet street rocks hard, keeps prices low and brings in a variety of rock acts both big and small.

4. Plush,
    340 E. Sixth St.

Don’t let the rainbow sign fool you (as it does many newcomers): Plush is not a gay bar. Rather, it’s an all-encompassing, music- and alcohol-loving place on the ever-eclectic Fourth Avenue.

Boasting an array of top-shelf liquors and wines that don’t come from a box, Plush also offers live bands anywhere from five to seven nights a week. They bring in a decent amount of touring out-of-state bands, but tend to stray on the local side, so come here for a good drink, a comfortable vibe and the chance to support some of your own.