Police Beat

Doobie in a dorm room

A man was cited and released for possession of marijuana March 27 at 10:24 p.m.

Police responded to the Kaibab-Huachuca Residence Hall in reference to the smell of marijuana coming from one of the rooms. When they arrived, police made contact with a resident assistant who escorted them to the room where the odor was coming from. Police reported that once they entered the hallway, they immediately smelt marijuana.

Police made contact with the resident of the room. He invited officers inside of the room. Police told the man that they were there because of the smell of marijuana. While speaking to him, police saw a marijuana cigarette on the man’s bed.

The man told police that there was more marijuana under his bed in a plastic container. The man told officers that he had smoked around 7:45 p.m. and all of the marijuana police found was his. Police asked the man where he got the marijuana, but he would only tell them it was from a friend off campus.

The man was released on the scene. The marijuana was confiscated.

Smokin’ reefer on the roof

Three students were diverted to the Dean of Students Office for possession of marijuana March 27 at 10:20 p.m.

Officers responded to the McClelland Park building roof in reference to several people sitting there.

As the responding officer approached the east stairwell, he saw five people coming down the stairs. The officer asked what they were doing. Three of the people said that they had been on the roof of the building. The other two said they were not on the roof.

Another officer was sent to the roof to see if any damage had been caused by the subjects. The officer returned with a small plastic baggie that had a prescription bottle with a green, leafy substance and a small pipe with black residue inside the bowl. Both the prescription bottle and the pipe smelt like marijuana.

The prescription bottle had the name of one of the students on it. The officer talked to the man, who said that the marijuana in the prescription bottle was his. He also admitted that he and the two women had used the pipe to smoke the marijuana on the roof of the building prior to police arrival. The two women also admitted to smoking marijuana.

All three people were diverted to the Dean of Students Office. The marijuana and pipe were confiscated.

Hidden headphones in hoodie

A man was cited and released for shoplifting on March 27 at 3:35 p.m.

Police responded to the UofA Bookstore in reference to a man in custody for shoplifting. When they arrived, police made contact with an employee from store security. The employee said that a UA student had tried to leave the store with a set of headphones he did not pay for.

Police made contact with the man, who they said was being cooperative. He told them that he came to the bookstore to buy some blue examination reference packets and a set of headphones. The man said that he had a lot on his mind and he put the headphone in the front pocket of his brown pullover hoodie. The man then paid for the exam packets but said that he forgot that the headphones were still in his sweatshirt pocket. The man then left the building and was approached by security. The man told the security officer that he forgot about the headphones and he would go pay for them, but security told him that was not the bookstore’s procedure.

The man was advised that he was not allowed into the bookstore until he completed a diversion program with the Dean of Students Office. The man was released on the scene. The total cost of the headphones was $15.91.

Serial trespasser ‘just walking through’

A man was cited and released for second degree criminal trespassing March 27 at 1:40 p.m.

Police responded to the Poetry Center in reference to a suspicious man inside the building. An employee who works in the building said that a man was walking around the building carrying a plastic bag. The man had spilled water on the floor inside the building and was talking to himself. The employee believed that the man may have been intoxicated or under the influence of narcotics.

A second complaint about the same man was reported, saying that he was walking through the bike racks at McClelland Hall.

Police located the man on Park Avenue and Helen Street. The man said that he was just walking through campus.

A check of the man’s name showed that he had an active UA Exclusionary Order effective through April 2009. The man also had multiple field interviews with police, who had advised him not to return to UA property.

The man said that he knew he was not supposed to return to the UA, but he was just walking through.

The man was placed under arrest for second degree criminal trespassing and released on the scene. He was also issued a second UA Exclusionary Order effective for one year. He is not allowed on any UA owned, rented or controlled property.