Staff picks: Arizona vs. OSU

My gut feeling all week was that Arizona was going to lose this game. No particular reason why, but Oregon State is better than people think and Arizona is probably due for a letdown. But then I got to thinking about this Arizona team, and who says it will fall victim to the bogus losses that it has in years past? The main difference is the defense – it’s amazing. It really is. It’s disciplined, it’s well-coached and it’s fast. Arizona generally doesn’t belong in the same conversation as Alabama or other powerhouse schools in the country, but the defense the Wildcats trot out everyday is every bit as good as those schools. That’s why they’re the No. 9 team in the country and the No. 2 defense. It’s also why they’ll win tomorrow.

Arizona 27, Oregon State 10

– Tim Kosch

It’s easy to overlook Oregon State by glancing at its record (2-2). But once you look deeper it becomes clear that this game has upset written all over it. The Beavers are well tested, having played TCU tight and squaring off against then-No. 3 Boise State. Playing teams of that caliber, along with two top-3 defenses definitely made them a better team, and it showed against ASU, when they shredded an impressive Sun Devil defense while sacking Steven Threet six times. The Beavers are surging while the Wildcats are a few plays away from being 2-2. It’s going to be tight, but OSU pulls off the upset on Family Weekend.

Oregon State 31, Arizona 28

– Mike Schmitz

Arizona is trying to stay perfect this season and prove its top-10 worth, while the Beavers are trying to turn their season around. James and Jacquizz Rodgers will be the best duo to test Arizona’s No. 2 defense at home. It will be the defense again that saves the Wildcats at the end, even though the game will be painfully close throughout. Quarterback Nick Foles and the offense get things going early, and the defense will work all game to quell the Rogers brothers.

Arizona 31, Oregon State 17

– Nicole Dimtsios